2019 Honorary Degree and Commencement Speaker Nominations
Members of the University of Vermont Community are invited to submit nominations of potential Honorary Degree recipients and persons to be considered to deliver the Commencement address. The Honorary Degree Advisory Committee, appointed by the President, identifies those candidates who best meet the established criteria and provides recommendations to the President. It is the President’s authority to select the Commencement Speaker, in consultation with the Committee, who may also be recommended to receive an Honorary Degree. The Committee may also recommend that nominees be awarded Honorary Degrees. Honorary Degrees are awarded at the May Commencement Ceremony. For further information regarding this process, please visit the University Operating Procedure for Honorary Degrees and Commencement Speaker.
Nominees for the 2019 Commencement Ceremony have been selected and will be announced by the President in March 2019. The nominating process for the 2020 Commencement Ceremony will begin in Fall 2018 and this webpage will be updated once the process is underway.
In conferring an Honorary Degree and recommending a Commencement Speaker, the University of Vermont has historically recognized distinction in at least one of three general areas:
- Outstanding achievement or service at or for the benefit of the University of Vermont.
- Outstanding achievement or service in or for the benefit of the State of Vermont.
- Outstanding achievement or service in the nation or the world.
Of particular interest is to identify Honorary Degree candidates and a Commencement Speaker who exemplify or reflect the University values, goals and strategic priorities.
The Committee will also consider the following in evaluating nominees:
- Sustained and dedicated commitment to public life and service.
- Significant contributions to the advancement of knowledge.
- Significant contribution to the University’s ability to achieve its mission.
For more information, please contact Assistant Trustee Coordinator Erin Dickinson at (802) 656-0358 or by email to email@example.com
Last modified June 27 2018 09:09 AM