University of Vermont

banner Morgan Horse Farm
History
Colonel Joseph Battell
Colonel Joseph Battell

Colonel Joseph Battell began breeding Morgans on his farm in Weybridge, VT in the late 1870s. His intense interest in preserving and promoting America's first breed of horse saved the Morgan from extinction. Battell spent years studying and tracing Morgan pedigrees, resulting in the publication of the first volume of the Morgan Horse Register in 1894. In 1907 he gave his farm to the U.S. Government.

From 1907 to 1951, the U.S. Government operated the farm, breeding, training, selling, and exhibiting Morgans for the cavalry and for the general public.  The so-called "Government" Morgans made a great impact on the development of the breed that is still felt today.

General Gates - Circa 1943
General Gates - Circa 1943

In 1951, the U.S. Government gave the farm to the University of Vermont.  The UVM Morgan Horse Farm is dedicated to the preservation and improvement of the Morgan Horse through breeding and selection. There are 60-80 registered stallions, mares, and foals at the farm, which is noted for supplying excellent stock to Morgan breeders around the world. Designated as a National Historic Site, the farm offers a variety of educational opportunities, as well as daily tours and seasonal events from May to October. For over 50 years, the farm has provided educational experiences and training for students and visitors while perpetuating the Battell, Government, and UVM bloodlines. UVM Morgans are prized as superb pleasure horses for recreational use and as foundation broodstock. We look forward to seeing you at the farm. 

Last modified March 05 2008 11:00 AM

Contact UVM © 2014 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131