Joshua Farley focuses on mechanisms for allocating resources under local control and national sovereignty that generate global public goods, developing transdisciplinary case study approaches to environmental problem solving as an educational tool, ecological restoration of rainforest ecosystems, economic globalization, and the valuation and finance of restoring natural capital. Josh is an ecological economist who holds degrees in biology, international affairs and economics.
Gund Fellow, Professor, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Research and/or Creative Works
- Researching and writing on monetary and fiscal policy for a steady state economy
- Working on a UTC funded project on the relationship between bicycles, transportation sustainability, and quality of life
- Researching interconnections between agroecology, ecosystem services, economic institutions and human welfare in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles (* denotes invited. Authorship in order of contribution, except where alphabetical)
- De Groot, D., J. Aronson, J. Blignaut, T. Elmquist, J. Farley (in press) Evidence from the FieldShows that Investing in Ecosystem Restoration Pays. Conservation Biology
- Farley, J. and T. Farley (2013) Box Insert: The Economics of Health Care. Solutions. 4 (3) 48
- Farley, J., M. Burke, G. Flomenhoft, B. Kelly, D. F. Murray, S. Posner, M. Putnam, A. Scanlan and A. Witham (2013). Monetary and Fiscal Policies for a Finite Planet. Sustainability 5(6): 2802-2826.
- Richnau, G., P. Angelstam, S. Valasiuk, L. Zahvoyska, R. Axelsson, M. Elbakidze, J. Farley, I. Jönsson, I. Soloviy. (2013), Multifaceted Value Profiles of Forest Owner Categories in South Sweden: The River Helge å Catchment as a Case Study. AMBIO: A Journal of the Human Environment 42(2): 188-200.
- Farley, J. (2013) Economia para um Planeta Pós-carbono. Revista Nucleo de Estudos de Economia Catarinense. 1 (2) pp. 52-68
- Muradian, R., M. Arsel, L. Pellegrini, F. Adaman, B. Aguilar, B. Agarwal, E. Corbera, D. Ezzine-de Blas, J. Farley, G. Froger, E. Garcia-Frapolli, E. Gomez, J. Gowdy, N. Kosoy, J. F. Le Coq, P. Leroy, P. May, P. Méral, P. Mibielli and R. Norgaard (2013). Markets for biodiversity and ecosystem services and the fatal attraction of win-win solutions. Conservation Letters 6(4): 274–279.
- Alvez, J., A. Schmitt F., J. Farley, G. Alarcon, A. Fantini (2012) The Potential for Agroecosystems to Restore Ecological Corridors and Sustain Farmer Livelihoods: The Evidence From Brazil. Ecological Restoration. 30(4) 288-290.
- Farley, J. (2012) Ecosystem Services: The Economics Debate. Ecosystem Services 1:1 pp. 40-49
- Farley, J. (2012) Reflections on a Life Lived Well and Wisely. Solutions, 3:2 pp. 10-13
- *Farley, J., D. Batker and I. de la Torre (2012) Box insert: Mangrove Ecosystems and the Tragedy of Private Property Rights. Solutions, 2:6 p. 48. Jan 2012
- *Farley, J., A. Schmitt Filho, J. Alvez and N. Ribeiro de Freitas, Jr. (2012) How Valuing Nature Can Transform Agriculture. Solutions, 2:6 pp. 64-73. Jan 2012 http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/1014
- Alvez, J., Matthews, A., Schmitt Filho, A., & Farley, J. (2011). Indicadores de sustentabilidade para pecuária (Sustainability indicators for cattle farms). Cadernos de Agroecologia. Resumos do I Encontro Chapecó, SC, Brazil. Pan-Americano sobre Manejo Agroecológico de Pastagens, 6(1).
- Schmitt F., A., Murphy, W., & Farley, J. (2010). Grass based agroecologic dairying to revitalize small family farms through student technical support: The development of a participative methodology responsible for 622 family farm projects. Advances in Animal Biosciences, 1(2), 517-518.
- Farley, J., A. Schmitt F., J. P. Alvez, and P. M. Rebollar (2010) The farmer’s viewpoint: Payments for ecosystem services and agroecologic pasture based dairy production. Advances in Animal Biosciences 1:490-491
- Farley, J. and R. Costanza (2010) Payments for Ecosystem Services: From the Local to the Global. Ecological Economics 69:2060-2068
- Kemkes, R., J. Farley and C. Koliba (2010) Determining When Payments Are an Effective Policy Approach to Ecosystem Service Provision. Ecological Economics. 69: 2069-2074
- Farley, J., A. Aquino, A. Daniels, A. Moulaert, D. Lee, and A. Krause (2010) Global Mechanisms for Sustaining and Enhancing PES Schemes. Ecological Economics. 69: 2075-2084
- Reynolds, T. W., J. Farley, and C. Huber (2010) Investing in human and natural capital: An alternative paradigm for sustainable development in Awassa, Ethiopia. Ecological Economics. 69: 2140-2150
- Kubiszewski, I., J. Farley and R. Costanza (2010). The production and allocation of information as a good that is enhanced with increased use. Ecological Economics. 69: 1344-1354
- Farley, J., D. Batker, I. de la Torre and T. Hudspeth. (2010) Conserving Mangrove Ecosystems in the Philippines: transcending and institutional borders. Environmental Management. 45: 39-51
- *Farley, J. (2010). Conservation Through the Economics Lens. (French translation) Environmental Management 45:26-38.
- Aronson, J., J. N. Blignaut, R. S. de Groot, A. Clewell, P. P. Lowry Ii, P. Woodworth, R. M. Cowling, D. Renison, J. Farley, C. Fontaine, D. Tongway, S. Levy, S. J. Milton, O. Rangel, B. Debrincat, and C. Birkinshaw (2010) The road to sustainability must bridge three great divides. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1185:225-236.
- Costanza, R. and J. Farley (2010) Box insert: What Should Be Done With the Revenues From a Carbon-Cap-and-Auction System? Solutions, 1:1 online: http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/429
- Maurer, F., Schmitt, A., Farley, J., Alves, J., Oldra, A., DaRolt, L., & Francisco, F. (2009). Serviços Ambientais e a Produção de Leite sob Pastoreio Voisin na Agricultura Familiar: Ativos Ambientais que Devem ser Considerados. Revista Brasileira de Agroecologia, 4(2), 3830-3834
- Back, F., Schmitt F., A., Alves, G., Felipe Francisco, Surdi, J., Busnardo, F., & Farley, J. (2009). Programa de Fortalecimento da Agricultura Familiar através da Produção Ecológica inserida nos Processos de Recuperação Ambiental e Gestão da Paisagem. Revista Brasileira de Agroecologia, 4(2), 1926-1930
- Beddoe, R., R. Costanza, J. Farley, E. Garza, Jennifer Kent, Ida Kubiszewski, Luz Martinez, Tracy McCowen, Kathleen Murphy, Norman Myers, Zach Ogden, Kevin Stapleton, and John Woodward (2009) Overcoming Systemic Roadblocks to Sustainability: the evolutionary redesign of worldviews, institutions and technologies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 106:8, 2843-2489
- *Farley, J. (2008) The Role of Prices in Conserving Critical Natural Capital. Conservation Biology. 22:6, 1399-1408
- Farley, J. and B. Miles. (2008) Science and Problem Solving in a Political World: Lessons from Katrina. Ecological Economics and Statistics. 11:S08, 3-20.
- Costanza, R., B. Fisher, S. Ali, C. Beer, L. Bond, R. Boumans, N. L. Danigelis, J. Dickinson, C. Elliott, J. Farley, D. E. Gayer, L. MacDonald Glenn, T. Hudspeth, D. Mahoney, L. McCahill, B. McIntosh, B. Reed, S. A. T. Rizvi, D. M. Rizzo, T. Simpatico, and R. Snapp. (2008) An integrative approach to quality of life measurement, research, and policy. Surveys and Perspectives Integrating Environment and Society. 1, 11-15
- Costanza, R. and J. Farley (2007) Ecological Economics of Coastal Disasters: Introduction to the Special Issue. Ecological Economics. 63:2-3, 249-253
- Voinov, A. and J. Farley. (2007) Reconciling Sustainability, Systems Theory and Discounting. Ecological Economics 63:1, 104-113
- Farley, J., D. Baker, D. Batker, C. Koliba, R. Matteson, R. Mills and J. Pittman. (2007) Opening the Policy Window for Paradigm Shifts: Katrina as a Focusing Event. Ecological Economics. 63:2-3, 344-354
- Costanza, R., B. Fisher, S. Ali, C. Beer, L. Bond, R. Boumans, N. Danigelis, J. Dickinson, C. Elliott, J. Farley, D. Gayer, L. MacDonald Glenn, T. Hudspeth, D. Mahoney, L. McCahill, B. McIntosh, B. Reed, S. A. Rizvi, D. Rizzo, T. Simpatico, and R. Snapp (2007). Quality of Life: An Approach Integrating Opportunities, Human Needs, and Subjective Well-Being. Ecological Economics 61:2-3 267-276
Other Peer Reviewed Publications
- *Farley, J. and M. Ceroni (forthcoming) Ecological Economics and Biodiversity. Teaching module prepared for NCEP (Network of Conservation Educators and Practitioners). http://ncep.amnh.org/index.php?globalnav=resources§ionnav=modules§ionsubn av=find_modules&action=default
- Costanza, R., G. Alperovitz, H. Daly, J. Farley, C. Franco, T. Jackson, I. Kubiszewski, J. Schor, P. Victor and R. Colman (2012). Building a Sustainable and Desirable Economy-in- Society-in-Nature. New York, United Nations Division for Sustainable Development.
- Costanza, R., G. Alperovitz, H. Daly, J. Farley, C. Franco, T. Jackson, I. Kubiszewski, J. Schor, P. Victor and R. Colman (2013) Vivement 2050 ! Programme Pour Une Économie Soutenable Et Désirable (English title: Building a Sustainable and Desirable Economy-in- Society-in-Nature). Translated by Valérie Denot. Institut Veblen pour les réformes économiques: Paris
- Daly, Herman and J. Farley (2010) Ecological Economics: Principles and Applications, 2nd Edition. Island Press: Washington, DC.
- Farley, J., J. Erickson and H. Daly (2005). Ecological Economics: A Workbook for Problem- Based Learning. Island Press: Washington, DC.
- Keeton, W.S., P.K. Angelstam, Y. Bihun, M. Chernyavskyy, S.M. Crow, A. Deyneka, M. Elbakidze, J. Farley, V. Kovalyshyn, I. Kruhlov, B. Mahura, S. Myklush, J.S. Nunery, I. Soloviy, L. Zahvoyska. (2013) Sustainable Forest Management Alternatives for the Carpathian Mountains with a Focus on Ukraine, in: J. Kozak, et al. (Eds.) Integrating Nature and Society Towards Sustainability, Environmental Science and Engineering, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg pp. 331-352.
- Farley, J. and S. Perkins (2013) Economics of Information in a Green Economy. In R. Robertson (ed.) Building a Green Economy. Michigan State University Press, Lansing pp.
- Farley, J. (2013) The Economics of Sustainability in U. Diwekar and H. Cabezas (ed.) Sustainability: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives. Bentham Open E-books.
- Costanza, R., G. Alperovitz, H. Daly, J. Farley, C. Franco, T. Jackson, I. Kubiszewski, J. Schor and P. Victor (2013). Building a Sustainable and Desirable Economy-in-Society-in- Nature. State of the World. W. W. staff. Washington, DC, Island Press pp. 126-142
- Schmitt Filho, A., J. Farley, G. Alarcon, J. Alvez and P. Rebollar (2013). Integrating Agroecology and PES in Santa Catarina’s Atlantic Forest. R. Muradian and L. Rival (eds.) Governing the provision of environmental services. Springer Verlag pp. 333-356
- de Freitas, N. and J. Farley (2012) Restoring Ecosystem Services in Riparian Zones by Promoting Working Forests in São Paulo, Brazil. In D. R. Gallagher (ed.) Environmental Leadership: A Reference Handbook. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Farley, J. and A. Schmitt (2012) Ecosystem Services, Agriculture, and Economic Institutions. In M. Brouwer (ed.) The Ecosystem Promise. Partner in communications and sustainable development, Bunnik, the Netherlands. pp. 32-37
- Farley, J. , R. Costanza, and G. Flomenhoft (2012) Ecosystem Services and Property Rights. In M. Brouwer (ed.) The Ecosystem Promise. Partner in communications and sustainable development, Bunnik, the Netherlands pp. 162-165
- Costanza R., Farley J. (2011) Common Asset Trusts and the World Environmental Constitution. In Y. Tunytsya (ed.) World Environmental Constitution. Methodological basics. Lviv: Publishing House of UNFU, 2011: 224-225.
van den Belt, M., V. Forgie and J. Farley (2011) Valuation of Ecosystem Services. In: van den Belt M. and Costanza R. (eds) Volume 12, “Ecological Economics of Estuaries and Coasts”. In Wolanski E. and McLusky D.S. (eds) Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science. Waltham, MA: Academic Press.
- Pascual, U. and R. Muradian (coordinating lead authors), L. Brander, E. Gómez-Baggethun, B. Martín-López, and M. Verma (lead authors), P. Armsworth, M. Christie, H. Cornelissen, F. Eppink, J. Farley, J. Loomis, L. Pearson, C. Perrings, S. Polasky (contributing authors) (2010) The economics of valuing ecosystem services and biodiversity. in TEEB, (2010)
See full publications list at uvm.edu
Awards and Recognition
- Astor Visiting Lectureship, Oxford University, Spring 2012
- Fulbright Fellow, Fall 2009, Santa Catarina, Brazil
- Selected for an Honors College Faculty Seminar on Quality of Life, August, 2005 A.D. White Fellowship, Cornell University, 1990, 1991, 1993
- S.S.R.C. International Pre-dissertation Fellowship Program, Brazil, 1991, 1992 Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, Portuguese, 1989-1990
- Herbert H. Lehman Fellowship, 1988-1990
- Dean’s Fellow, Columbia University, 1988-1989
Associations and Affiliations
Faculty standards committee, CALS, 2011-present
Faculty search committee for Director, Gund Institute of Ecological Economics, RSENR, 2010-11
Advisory Board, Institute for Global Sustainability, 2008-present
Faculty search committee for tenure track professor, CDAE 2007
Ecological Economics Certificate Committee, 2004-present
Fellows committee, Gund Institute for Ecological Economics, 2004-present
Advisory Board, CUPS, 2004-07
Committee on International Programs, CDAE 2003-present
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Research and Scholarship Committee, 2003-04
Board of Directors, International Society for Ecological Economics, 2012-present
Board of Directors, Natural Paths Sanctuary, 2012-present
Editorial Board, Challenges in Sustainability, 2012-present
Conselho editorial, Nucleo de Estudos de Economia Catarinense, 2012-present
Associate Editor, Ecosystem Services, 2011-present
Board of Directors, Natural Paths Sanctuary, 2011-present
Editorial Board, Sustainability Science, 2010-present
Advisory Board, Austin College Center for Environmental Studies, 2010-present
Community Advisory Board, the Story of Stuff, 2010-present
Editorial Board, Solutions Journal, 2009-present
Fellow, Post Carbon Institute, 2009-present
Board of Directors, Earth Economics, 2005-present
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Ecological economics, ecosystem services, system sustainability, steady state economy, economic globalization, economic development, ecological restoration
- PhD, Ag/Resource/Managerial Economics, Cornell University
- MIA, Economic & Political Development, Columbia University
- BA, Biology, Grinnell College
205 B Morrill Hall