University of Vermont

College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Department of Rehabilitation and Movement Science

Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Movement Science

The University of Vermont's Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Movement Science degree program engages students in the theory and application of movement science in health, fitness and disease prevention in diverse populations.

Students benefit from low student-to-faculty ratios facilitating early engagement, hands-on experience, and applied interprofessional learning through a wide range of clinical, research, and community experiences under the supervision of faculty researchers and clinicians in exercise physiology, adapted physical activity, pediatric obesity, biomechanics, exercise prescription, exercise behavior, kinesiology and neural control, and sport psychology.


Select year of program entry:

Consult the UVM Course Catalogue for specific requirements by catalogue year. Academic standards are outlined in the CNHS Undergraduate Handbook.

Senior Capstone Experience

Through hands-on classroom and laboratory experience with expert faculty, students learn to use state-of-the-art technologies and tools, including 3D spatial kinematic modeling, metabolic cart and fitness testing, and DEXA Scan technology.

In the senior year, students participate in a six-credit senior capstone experience under the direct supervision of health and wellness professionals on campus or at an off-campus affiliate site. Senior capstone experiences include - but are not limited to - clinical internships in the community, research assistantships and independent faculty-mentored research, service learning projects, and teaching assistantships.

Off-campus clinical internship placements have included Fletcher Allen Cardiac Rehabilitation, The Rehab Gym, and Fletcher Allen Pulmonary and Oncologic Rehab.

Exercise and Movement Science Faculty

UVM exercise and movement science faculty are selected for their areas of expertise and commitment to research and education. Learn more about our faculty.


UVM's modest student cohort size ensures the consistent development of well-prepared, academically strong students who benefit from tailored academic and career advising, research opportunities, and flexibility within the curriculum to allow individualized growth and career preparation.

UVM exercise and movement science alumni work in a variety of settings, including health and wellness promotion, exercise prescription and programming, and the health and fitness industry. Recent graduates have taken positions in fitness settings, corporate wellness, research labs, adaptive sports programs, and community organizations including the YMCA, Spaulding Rehabilitation, VT Adaptive Ski and Sports, The New York Rangers of the NHL, and the U.S. Paralympic Ski Program. Learn more.

The baccalaureate degree provides a foundation for masters and doctoral study. Past graduates have entered graduate programs in exercise science, kinesiology, physical activity and exercise behavior, public health, and sport psychology. Many students pursue advanced clinical degrees including physician's assistant, and in physical and occupational therapy and medicine.

Approximately 80% of UVM alumni pursue advanced degrees following graduation, with the remaining 20% either entering the work force or completing additional pre-requisite coursework or internships in support of advanced training, according to recent alumni survey data.

Opportunities for Students

Opportunities for involvement in student organizations like UVM Emergency Rescue, club and intervarsity sports, and student government are widely available.

The Exercise and Movement Science Student Association participates in regular fundraising and community events centered on health and wellness, as well as fundraising to support student research and travel to regional and national research colloquia and conferences. Some exercise and movement science students also participate in the UVM Honors College.

With thoughtful planning and communication with an advisor early in their academic career, exercise and movement science students have studied abroad in Greece, Australia, and New Zealand, among other places.

Many Exercise and Movement Science students become involved in faculty-led undergraduate research in the Human Motion Analysis Laboratory, the Human Performance Center, or the Physical Activity Laboratory, Exercise Behavior Laboratory, or Adapted Physical Activity Laboratory, co-authoring publications and presentations with mentors in the field.

For More Information

UVM College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Office of Student Services
002 Rowell Building
106 Carrigan Dr.
Burlington, VT 05405-0068
Phone: (802) 656-3858


Already an undergraduate student? Learn about the transfer process.

Last modified February 24 2014 12:48 PM