Art & Architecture at UVM - Sponsored by the University of Vermont Center for Teaching & Learning
   
Home
Art & Artifacts
bulletPublic Art & Monuments
bulletPortraits
bulletNotable Collections
Architecture
bulletBuildings
Campus Settings
Overlooked Gems
About This Site
University of Vermont
bullet Campus Map
bullet Walking Tour
bullet Fleming Museum
bullet UVM Art Department
Redstone Campus

 
Redstone Hall, Buell Estate, c. 1890  
Located in the residential section of Burlington's Hill District (South Prospect at Cliff Street) and directly across the street from the earlier designed Cannon estate, Redstone estate is comprised of a main house, (Redstone Hall), stables (Robinson Hall) and gatehouse (Redstone Lodge) and was originally built for the Buell family. The spacious grounds gently slope towards South Prospect and afford a commanding view of Lake Champlain.


 
Redstone Gatehouse and Wall, c. 1890  
The western boundary is bordered by a stonewall with a jagged top course constructed of the same red stone quarried for the estate. Designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the architectural firm of Marling and Burdett in the late 1880's, the property was purchased by UVM in the early 1920's for the purpose of developing a campus specifically for women.

Both the main house and the stables were converted to dormitories in the early 1920's. Slade Hall (McKim, Mead & White. 1928) was the first building to be added to Redstone campus, creating additional dormitory space for women.



 
Redstone Hall (c. 1890), Southwick Memorial (1934)  
In 1934, Southwick Memorial (McKim, Mead & White) was erected to provide recreational and instructional facilities for women. Today Southwick serves a multi-purpose function, both as a Language Laboratory, and as a Music Library.

Some of the original space is also used as faculty offices and as practice facilities for the Department of Music whose new facilities were physically connected to Southwick in 1973. The Music Building and its auditorium were designed by Burlington Associates.



   
  Southwick Music Complex, 1926 / 1973
The hard-edged, concrete forms juxtapose the aesthetics of cast concrete geometrical forms known as Brutalism with the traditional materials and compositional rendering of late Beaux-Arts classicism. Together they create a highly successful and imaginative ensemble.

Additional dormitory space (Coolidge Hall, 1947) was added in the southeast corner of the original Redstone grounds in response to the increased enrollment after World War II.



 
Christie, Wright & Patterson Halls, c. 1962  
The grounds to the south and adjacent to the original Redstone Campus became the site of an extensively planned dormitory quad in the 1960's comprised of Mason, Simpson, and Hamilton Halls on the east; Wing , Davis, and Wilks Halls to the south; and Christie, Wright, and Patterson Halls to the west. Immediately to the east of Redstone is the Athletic Campus, providing recreational facilities for Redstone and the rest of the University.