- Office Hrs
- 343 Old Mill
- Map to Old MIll
- By appointment: Set up and appointment with Prof. Gibson
- Academic schedule
- Final Exam
- 2nd Midterm Exam
- 1st Midterm Exam
- Review Qs
- Commanding Heights
- Human Capital
- Papola on Rap Videos
- Fear of Boom and Bust
- Fight of Century
- Financial markets
- Demographic transition
- Govt, Markets and Externalities
- Manufacture of Virtue
- Satz on Markets
- Munger on Exploitation in Markets
- Class notes
EC 11: Introduction to Macroeconomics
The class is on Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30-3:45 pm in Fleming Museum 101. The goal of the course is to enhance understanding of basic principles of macroeconomics. Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites. Exams: There will be two midterms and a final exam. Exams will consist of a mixture of problems, short answer and essay questions and will cover material from lectures and the readings. Software: Many homework problems will be done in EconPortal and submitted electronically. The course syllabus is updated throughout the semester.
GradingGrades are determined based on the midterms, the final exam and homework, all equally weighted. IF YOU DID NOT TAKE THE 2nd midterm, your grade distribution will be 25% homework with the first midterm and final both counting for half the remaining 75% of your grade.
The teaching assistant
The teaching assistant is Scott Akeson and will hold office hours twice weekly, MW: 11:30-12:30 in Old Mill 221.
The book and electronic homeworkThe text book is Cowan and Tabarrok Modern Principles of Macroeconomics. Get it from Coursesmart or from the UVM bookstore or EconPortal is required for the class and includes an electronic copy of the book. Note that Mac users should use Firefox for all features of the EconPortal. Please register with same name as used by the UVM registrar (i.e. no nicknames or variations on your official UVM name.) Then enter your email address, select a password and password hint. If you have problems with EconPortal it is best to contact technical support by phone at 800-936-6899 or online at Tech support. You will get help much more quickly than contacting Prof. Gibson or Scott.
The class schedule
First day of class: Tues Aug 27. Part 1: Measuring economic activityReading: Chapters 1-5. Last Day to Add Classes without Instructor PermissionFri 30 Aug. Last day to Add/Drop, change to Pass/No Pass Mon 9 Sep First Midterm: Thurs 3 Oct in class, covering all readings and class material to date.
Part 2: Growth, Savings and InvestmentReading: Chapter 6-8. Last day to withdraw: Fri 28 Oct
Part 3: The Keynesian model and AS/ADReading: Chapters 12
Second Midterm: in class, covering all readings and class material since last midterm. Thurs 21 Nov
Part 4: Monetary Policy and Fiscal PolicyReading: Chapter 14
Final Exam 10 Dec 9:00-10:15 am comprehensive.
UVM Final exam scheduleContact Us ©2010 The University of Vermont – Burlington, VT 05405 – (802) 656-3131
Office Hours: 1:00-2:00pm TTh and by appt.