The classic Vermont village, centered around a tree shaded green, was founded in 1848 as a depot for the Vermont Central Railroad. The 1850 Greek Revival style South Royalton House has been restored, as have most buildings in the village. The 1887 Queen Anne style railroad station (now a bank) and Queen Anne style brick commercial block surround two sides of the green, which features a monument honoring Hannah Handy, heroine of the 1780 Indian Raid on Royalton, a Civil War cannon and monument, and an ornate bandstand.
The Vermont Heritage Network
The University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program
Wheeler House, University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
E-mail To: email@example.com