In 1785, religious controversy led to the division of Chester Township into two parishes. Congregationalists settled in the North Parish, where the Stone Village Historic District is now located. Baptists settled the South Parish. When the railroad linking Bellows Falls and Burlington was constructed in the mid-19th century, it passed through Chester on common ground between the two parishes. Located in the southern part of the town, Chester village includes more than 120 buildings representing architectural styles from Federal to Colonial Revival. The Italianate Revival Fullerton House on Main Street and the Inn at Long Last on the common are two of the significant buildings.
The Vermont Heritage Network
The University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program
Wheeler House, University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
E-mail To: email@example.com