The West Rutland marble industry, which flourished in the last decades of the 1800s, spawned the development of businesses along Marble Street. After a disastrous fire in 1903, many of the commercial blocks and residences were rebuilt. The most outstanding store is faced with beautifully cut marble blocks. The rest of the stores, many brick but some wood, present a unified appearance with their Itatianate cornices and brackets.
The Vermont Heritage Network
The University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program
Wheeler House, University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
E-mail To: firstname.lastname@example.org