The community was created by the Vermont Legislature in 1784 out of land from Poultney, Wells, Tinmouth, and Ira in response to a petition from residents who felt isolated from their own townships because of the surrounding mountains. The Springs were rediscovered in 1868 and tourists flocked to the community for the healing waters. The district is centered in the village and includes more than 80 predominantly residential buildings. The focal point is the Village Green. The Middletown Springs Historical Society has developed a 2-acre park at the site, near the village center, and has built a replica of a Victorian springhouse.
The Vermont Heritage Network
The University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program
Wheeler House, University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
E-mail To: firstname.lastname@example.org