Since 1786, when Ira Allen constructed a dam on the Winooski River and built sawmills at both ends, the city has been an industrial center. Textile mills, first established in 1835, expanded for the next 75 years. The American Woolen Mill operated until 1934. Two remaining mills on the Winooski side of the river have been rehabilitated to provide space for shops, offices, and residences. The Champlain Mill, the Woolen Mill, Winooski Block, and the Riverfront Park are a few of the significant sites here.
The Vermont Heritage Network
The University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program
Wheeler House, University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
E-mail To: email@example.com