The village center, established in the late 18th century, was on the stage route which ran between Burlington and Troy, New York. An early settler, Hezekiah Bames, constructed a tavern, trading post, and a stone house. By 1810 the population of Charlotte was greater than Burlington's. The Town Hall now serves as a community museum. Bames' Tavern, originally located near his stone house, was removed to the Shelburne Museum in 1948. Another tavern, built by Nathaniel Newell in 1813, is located on Mutton Hill just north of the historic district.
The Vermont Heritage Network
The University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program
Wheeler House, University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
E-mail To: email@example.com