big SCALE... big FAIL?
Did you miss our live stream? Now you can watch it all. Below are videos of the talks from our 2012 TEDxUVM.
2:00 - 3:30 pm
- Paul Hines, UVM: "Why Power Grids Fail in Spectacular Ways, and What to Do About It"
- Brian Tivnan, MITRE Corporation/UVM Complex Systems Center: "Beyond Financial Black Swans: Rise of the Machines"
- Melba Kurman, Triple Helix Innovation: "3D Printing and Ultra-Large Systems of Cloud Manufacturing"
- Lewis Mitchell, UVM: "Big Happy: Revealing the Character of Cities Through Data"
- Brian Wansink, Cornell: "From Mindless Eating to Mindlessly Eating Well"
3:30 - 4:00 pm: Break
4:00 -5:00 pm
- Peter Dodds, UVM: "Why Is Global Success So Unpredictable? Making Sense of Influence, Social Contagion, Marketing, and Stories"
- Asim Zia, UVM: "Governing Critical Transitions in the Earth System"
- John Voight, UVM: "Cryptography for Everyone"
- Neal Rothleder, MITRE Corporation: "Turning the Goalie Around: Threat Intelligence and the Paradigm Shift in Cyber Defense"
Behind the Scenes
Here are a few photos of what was happening "behind the scenes" on the day of the event.
What is TEDx?
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxUVM, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxUVM event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
This independent TEDx event is operated under license from TED.