2013 Food Safety & Modernization Act Proposed Rules
The public comment is closed, but we hope the information below will be helpful if you're seeking to understand the proposed changes. We will link to updates as they become available.
- Fact sheet on who will be covered under the rules (Decision Tree)
- Proposed Rules for Farms Covered by FSMA
- FSMA Preventative Controls Fact Sheet
- FDA's official FSMA page
- The Produce Safety Alliance has recorded Question and Answer sessions with the FDA on specific items of concern. So, if you are too tired to read through all this, you could download the sessions and listen while working!
- Pushback Begins Against FSMA On-the-Farm Rules, Food Safety News, November 15, 2013
Resources with talking points, and to help you learn about how FSMA might impact small-scale and diversified farms are available at:
- Comments Submitted by the Center's Produce Safety Coordinator Ginger Nickerson
- Commenting on FSMA Made Easy (slides from the November 4 webinar)
- The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (extensive background and talking points)
- The New England Farmers Union(slightly shorter)
- PASA Director Brian Snyder's write-up of the potential impact of FSMA on small farms .
- New Hampshire FSMA Task Force comments on the proposed Preventative Controls rules.
- New Hampshire FSMA Task Force comments on the proposed Produce Safety rules.
- The NHVBGA has created a website for growers to discuss FSMA.
- American Farmland Trust August 13 Webinar
- United Fresh Webinar: How the Implementation of FSMA may affect your business
- FDA to Prepare Environmental Impact Statement on Proposed Produce Rule.
- FDA Announces that Deadline for Comments on Scope of Considerations for Environmental Impact Statement to be Extended Until March 15, 2014
Submitting your comments to the FDA.
- Quantity Counts! The more individual comments, the better. To submit comments:
- Elements of a Strong Comment
- Produce Safety Rule
- Preventive Controls for processors, storers, and aggregators.
Last modified May 07 2014 11:14 AM