Livestock Wellbeing & Biodiversity Workshop Announced for November 8
UVM research team from the Extension Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Animal Science, and the Rubenstein School for the Environment and Natural Resources to discuss approach and findings to date.
- By Cheryl Herrick
Presenters Juan Alvez, Melissa Bainbridge and John Barlow will discuss:
- A holistic approach to livestock production.
- Tools for grass farmers to monitor grazing behavior and forage utilization in real time
- Impact of grazing summer annuals on milk production, composition and fatty acid profile as well as rumen function
Project Team: John Barlow1, Jana Kraft1, Melissa Bainbridge1, Joe Roman2, Juan Alvez3
1. Department of Animal Sciences
2. Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
3. UVM Extension Center for Sustainable Agriculture
Please register by November 4 here. For more information email Juan Alvez at email@example.com or call 802-656-6116. To request a disability-related accommodation to participate in this program, please contact Cheryl Herrick at 802-656-5459 by October 24 so we may assist you.
This event will follow the Generation Organic event also taking place on the farm that day, and all farmers attending are welcome to stay to learn about this project. Also, those able to stay a little past 5:30 are invited to continue the conversation over light refreshments.
- Where: Choiniere Family Farm, 2465 Gore Rd, Highgate Center, VT 05459.