UVM Center for Sustainable Agriculture Calendar
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Vermont Ag. Plastics Recycling Pilot Program Accepting Drop-Offs
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Description: Bennington, Highgate, Hyde Park, Middlebury, Montpelier,
Casella Resource Solutions is offering free Agricultural Plastic Product Recycling to all Vermont producers, at the five locations listed above.
Producers must follow these steps for items to be accepted. Best Management Practices for preparing plastic films/nursery containers for recycling:
* Keep plastic/containers as clean and dry as possible,
* Shake out/knock out pebbles and clumps of soil,
* Roll or fold used film plastic into pillow-sized bundles,
* Store used plastic off the ground, out of mud, gravel and grit,
* Separate difference types of used plastic by color and type.
Best Management Practices for preparing maple tubing for recycling:
* Only polyethylene (PE) tubing will be accepted: no PVC. (PVC plastic sinks in water, PE does not),
* Plastic fittings (spouts and connectors) can be left in place,
* Remove all metal from tubing,
* Coil tubing into loops or cut in lengths 4’ long. (Keep large coils light enough to lift),
* Tie coils with a piece of drop line.
GRIT AND GRAVEL DESTROY RECYCLING EQUIPMENT - AVOID OR REMOVE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
CONTACT: Annie Macmillan email@example.com, (802) 828-3479 with questions.
Sunday, April 27, 2014
Small Scale Self-Sufficiency
Time: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Description: AlpineGlo Farm, 91 Clark St., Westminster, VT
The Food Security Collaborative (formerly the Greater Falls Community Garden Collaborative) is pleased to announce its Winter 2014 series of workshops designed to help participants become more local food sufficient.
Rachel Ware will return with a Small Scale Self-Sufficiency workshop at her AlpineGlo Farm in Westminster. Her focus will be on gardening and raising chickens for both eggs and meat.
CONTACT: Because space is limited, pre-registration is required. To register, call Tim Stevenson, 802.869.2141.
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
2014 UVM Extension Master Gardener Course
Time: 6:15 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Description: Offered statewide via Vermont Interactive Technology studios in Bennington, Brattleboro, Johnson, Lyndon, Middlebury, Montpelier, Newport, Randolph Ctr., Rutland, Springfield, St. Albans, White River Jct., and Williston.
See details with February 4 event.
CONTACT: Lisa Chouinard at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-656-9562.