If you have a problem with a purchased item or billing resulting from use of the Purchasing Card, you should first try to reach a resolution with the supplier that provided the item.  In most cases disputes can be resolved directly between the cardholder and the supplier.

9.1 Returns

If you need to return a purchased item for any reason, request a "Return Goods Authorization Number" from the supplier, record that number on the supplier's merchandise return form and send it directly to the supplier.  Keep a copy of the return form with your purchase receipts in case further follow-up is required.

9.2 Credits

The supplier should issue a credit for any item that has been discussed and agreed to for return. Request a copy of the credit slip from the supplier.  Retain with your other Purchasing Card receipts and attach to the PurCard Journal Report.

For reconciliation purposes, keep in mind that the charge for the merchandise and the credit for a returned item may not be on the same banking statement.  Submit receipts for the original charge for the cycle in which it appears.  If you need to keep the original receipt because you are making a return, attach a copy to the PurCard Journal Report.  Submit the credit receipt when it appears on the cycle statement.

9.3 Disputed Items

If you have a disputed charge and cannot reach resolution with the supplier, complete the form entitled "Billing Inquiry Form" within thirty (30) days of the date the charge first appeared on your monthly statement. This form is on the back of your monthly statement. This MUST be faxed to Mellon Bank.  Submit a copy with the PurCard Journal Report for the cycle in which the disputed item appears.

9.4 When All Else Fails

If you have been unable to resolve returns, credits, and disputed items through your own efforts or with the help of MasterCard, please bring the problem to the attention of the Program Administration Team. They are available to assist you with problem resolution when previous attempts have been unsuccessful.