4.0 Purchasing Card Security
The UVM Purchasing Card should always be treated with at least the same level of care that you treat your own personal credit cards.
- Sign your Purchasing Card
immediately upon receipt.
- Activate your Purchasing Card with Mellon Bank.
4.1 Storage of Your Purchasing Card
Keep your Purchasing Card in an accessible but secure location. Since you are the only person authorized to use the card, it needs to be accessible only to you.
4.2 Purchasing Card Number
Guard your Purchasing Card account number carefully! Do not post it at your desk or write it in any other place that is accessible by others.
4.3 Sharing or Use by Someone Other Than the Cardholder
The only person entitled to use the UVM Purchasing Card is the person whose name appears on the face of the card.
- Do not lend
or allow another individual (secretary, coworker, etc.) to use your
Purchasing Card to purchase materials for their use, your use, or the
department’s use. A Purchasing Card transaction may only be
accomplished and authorized by the individual whose name appears on
the front of the card.
- If the cardholder is going to be absent from the office for an extended period, the department supervisor may request that a new card be issued to a different person for the duration of absence.
4.4 Lost, Misplaced, or Stolen Purchasing Card
Report a stolen, lost, or misplaced Purchasing Card immediately by phone to Mellon Bank by calling 1-800-258-9275 and the Program Administration Team. The Purchasing Card will be automatically canceled by Mellon Bank and a new Purchasing Card will then be issued to replace the stolen, lost, or misplaced card.
Immediate reporting of a lost, misplaced, or stolen Purchasing Card limits the University's liability for potential charges that may occur from unauthorized use. Failure to promptly report a lost, misplaced, or stolen Purchasing Card may result in the University seeking reimbursement from the cardholder for unauthorized charges.
4.5 Consequences for Failure to Comply with Program Guidelines
- Cards can be temporarily shut off.
- Permanent revocation of card.
- Notification of Internal Audit and/or University Police Services to investigate matter further.
- Assignment of wages.
- Disciplinary measure that may include termination and/or legal action.
- The Program Administrator reserves the right to revoke a Purchasing Card at any time.
Last modified January 07 2008 03:02 PM