Chief Diversity Office
A Message from Wanda Heading Grant, Chief Diversity Officer and Special Assistant to the President for Multicultural Initiatives
Welcome to the Office of the Chief Diversity Officer and Special Assistant to the President for Multicultural Initiatives at the University of Vermont. Our Mission is to help support the university's commitment to multiculturalism, diversity and social equality. We know that a multicultural and diverse learning community promotes life changing and rewarding learning experiences. Therefore, we actively seek to provide leadership and direction that will continuously improve university-wide efforts to create and maintain an inclusive and diverse community.
Reporting directly to the President, the Chief Diversity Officer and Special Assistant to the President for Multicultural Initiatives is responsible for:
- Providing integrated leadership and administrative oversight of diversity initiatives, compliance and agencies; Abenaki Outreach Program, Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity, ALANA Student Center, Center for Cultural Pluralism, Women's Center, and LGBTQA Center.
- Supporting the work of the University's Presidential Commissions.
- Provide advice and counsel on institutional matters relating to diversity, including campus climate and the recruitment, retention and development of a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Advising senior leadership on policies, programs, practices, and resources necessary to achieve excellence in multiculturalism and diversity.
- Assisting both individual faculty members and academic departments in developing courses and curricula aimed at teaching critical thinking about multiculturalism and diversity.
- Developing Professional Development Opportunities which support faculty and staff in their development in the areas of compliance, cultural competency, literacy and multicultural education.
- Collaborating with members of the UVM community to foster a welcoming environment that embraces inclusion.
- Supporting recruitment efforts to promote a more diverse staff, faculty and student body.
- Conducting community outreach to establish relationships and opportunities with individuals and institutions who share a mutual interest.
Diversity and Equity Unit
Abenaki Outreach Program
The UVM/Abenaki Outreach Program's mission is to promote a diverse and respectful environment that embraces social justice, equity, and opportunity for high school Native American
Affimative Action and Equal Opportunity
The Mission of the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AA/EO) is to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and university policies related to discrimination.
ALANA Student Center
To support the holistic development of ALANA and Bi/Multi-racial students so they attain their goals for wellness, academic achievement, personal growth, identity formation, community building and cultural advancement.
Center for Cultural Pluralism
The Center for Cultural Pluralism's (CCP) mission is to equip faculty, staff and students with the cultural and social justice competencies necessary to function at their best in their intellectual, leadership and pedagogical practices, so the University can provide the highest quality education.
As the LGBTQA Center our purpose is to join with others at UVM to: inspire personal growth and empowerment; nurture community; educate for social justice; and advocate for liberation—the freedom to live openly in an affirming community—for all people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning, and everyone who aspires to be their advocates.
The Women's Center supports all facets of women's lives — the social, professional, spiritual, physical, intellectual & emotional. We empower women and their allies to become active leaders and global citizens in their communities.