Convocation 2016 - Sunday, August 28
Information for Students - What to Expect
4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Community Meeting with your RA
- Between 4 and 6 p.m. students will rotate through a community meeting with their RA and dinner.
- At the conclusion of the community meeting, first-year students will walk from their residence hall or meeting location to Patrick Gymnasium for the Convocation Ceremony.
- First-year students are asked to wear their residence hall T-shirt.
- Each residence hall will walk as a group under their residence hall banner.
- Inside Patrick Gymnasium, each residence hall student group will sit together.
5:30 p.m. Class of 2019 Begins Arriving at Patrick Gymnasium
- Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
- Before the ceremony begins, students and guests will enjoy music performed by the UVM Percussion Ensemble and a slideshow of Opening Weekend activities put together by the Office of Student Life.
6:30 p.m. Convocation, Patrick Gymnasium (Mandatory)
- UVM’s president, Tom Sullivan, hosts this annual celebration that marks the official beginning of the academic year.
- Jason Maulucci, President of the Student Government Association, will welcome students to campus.
- Brief remarks will be given by President Tom Sullivan and Provost David Rosowsky.
- The ceremony will close with the alma mater performed by four University a cappella groups.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, first-year students will exit Patrick Gymnasium in groups by residence hall and parade down Main Street to the University Green for the Twilight Induction Ceremony. Ushers will cue students when to exit the gym.
7:30 p.m. Convocation Parade from Main Street to the University Green (weather permitting)
8:00 p.m. Class of 2020 Twilight Induction Ceremony, University Green (Mandatory)
- Join your class for your induction into the UVM community with the candlelight ceremony, a unique UVM tradition. (Rain Site: Patrick Gym)
For more information contact Kelly O'Malley, Coordinator of Presidential Events at (802) 656-3272 or by email to: Academic_Ceremonies@uvm.edu
Last modified July 27 2016 11:23 AM