Terrence P. Delaney
Associate Professor in Plant Biology
Ph.D. 1989, University of Washington
Office: 319 Jeffords Hall
Research Area: plant disease resistance signaling, plant-pathogen interactions, fungal biology, molecular genetics
Courses Taught: Plant Pathology (PBIO 117/PSS 117), Fungi (PBIO 195), Nature of Sensing and Response (PBIO 262/MMG 262), Biology (BCOR 12), Green World (PBIO 006)
Delaney Lab Webpage
Summary of Research Program
The goal of my research program is to elucidate the mechanisms by which plants protect themselves from disease, and recover from disease once formed. This knowledge is of fundamental importance for understanding plant disease resistance, maintenance of plant health, and plant signal transduction pathways. We employ techniques of genetics, molecular biology and biochemistry in Arabidopsis thaliana and several of its pathogens. Greater understanding of the regulation of induced resistance promises to be an important tool for producing disease resistant plants for agriculture. My research program is aligned along three principal areas:
- Further analysis of the pathogen-induced defense system called systemic acquired resistance (SAR).
- Analysis of pathogen-induced defenses that are distinct of SAR, such as that regulated by Arabidopsis SON1.
- Dissection of the interactions between the oomycete pathogen Peronospora parasitica and its host Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Delaney, T. P. (2005). Salicylic Acid. In P. J. Davies (Ed.), Plant Hormones: Biosynthesis, Signal Tranduction, Action!, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. pp. 635-653.
- Delaney, T. P. Argueso, C., Kim, H. S., and Ko, J.-H. (2004). Identification of disease resistance in Arabidopsis idependent of systematic acquired resistance. In I. Tikhonovich, B. Lugtenberg and N. Provorov (Eds.), Biology of Plant-Microbe Interactions, Vol. 4, Intl. Soc. for Molec. Plant-Microbe Interactions, St. Petersburg, Russia. pp. 196-198.
- Buell, C. R., Joardar, V., Lindeberg, M., Selengut, J., Paulsen, I. T., Gwinn, M. L., Dodson, R. J., Deboy, R. T., Durkin, A. S., Kolonay, J. F., et al. (2003). The Complete Genome sequence of the Arabidopsis and tomato pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:10181-10186.
- Peng, J.-L., Dong, H.-S., Dong, H.-P., Delaney, T. P., Bonasera, J. M., and Beer, S. V. (2003). Harpin-elicited hypersensitive cell death and pathogen resistance require the NDR1 and EDS1 genes. Physiol Molec Plant Pathol 62:317-326.
- Kim, H. S. and Delaney, T. P. (2002) Arabidopsis SON1 regulates a novel induced defense response independent of both salicylic acid and systemic acquired resistance. Plant Cell 14(7):1469-82.
- Kim, H. S. and Delaney, T. P. (2002) Over-expression of TGA5, which encodes a bZIP transcription factor that interacts with NIM1/NPR1, confers SAR-independent resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana to Peronospora parasitica. Plant Journal 32:151-163.
- Rairdan, G. J. and Delaney, T. P. (2002) Role of salicylic acid and NIM1/NPR1 in race-specific resistance in Arabidopsis. Genetics 161(2): 803-11.
- Rairdan, G.J., Donofrio, N. M. and Delaney, T. P. (2001) Salicylic Acid and NIM1/NPR1-Independent Gene Induction by Incompatible Peronospora parasitica in Arabidopsis. Molec. Plant-Microbe Interact. 14:1235-46.
- Donofrio, N. M. and Delaney, T. P. (2001) Abnormal callose response phenotype and hypersusceptibility to Peronospora parasitica in defense-compromised Arabidopsis nim1-1 and salicylate hydroxylase plants. Molec. Plant-Microbe Interact. 14:439-50.
- Delaney, T. P., 2000. New mutants provide clues into regulation of systemic acquired resistance. Trends in Plant Science 5:2:49-51.
- Dong, H., Delaney, T. P., Bauer, D. W. and Beer, S. V. (1999). Harpin induces systemic acquired resistance in Arabidopsis through the salicylic acid and NIM1-mediated signal transduction pathway. Plant J. 20:207-15.
- Delaney, T. P. (1997). Genetic Dissection of Acquired Resistance to Disease. Plant Physiology 113: 5-12.
- Ryals, J., Weymann, K., Lawton, K., A., Friedrich, L., Ellis, D., Steiner, H. -Y., Johnson, J., Delaney, T., P., Jesse, T., Vos, P. and Uknes, S. (1997). The Arabidopsis NIM1 protein shows homology to the mammalian transcription factor inhibitor. Plant Cell 9:425-39.
- Hunt, M. D., Delaney, T. P., Dietrich, R., Weymann, K., Dangl, J. and Ryals, J. A. (1997). Salicylate-independent lesion formation
in Arabidopsis lsd mutants. Molec. Plant Microbe Interact. 10:531-16.
- Alfano, J. R., Kim, H. S., Delaney, T. P. and Collmer A. (1997). Evidence that the Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae
hrp-linked hrmA gene encodes and AVR-like protein that acts in a hrp-dependent manner within tobacco cells. Molec. Plant Microbe Interact. 10:580-88.
- Hunt, M. D., Neuenschwander, U. H., Delaney, T. P., Weymann, K. B., Friedrich, L. B., Lawton, K. A., Steiner, H-. Y. and Ryals,
J. A. (1996). Recent advances in systemic acquired resistance research. Gene 179:89-95.
- Lawton, K., Friedrich, L., Hunt, M., Weymann, K., Delaney, T. P., Kessmann, H., Staub, T. and Ryals, J. (1996). Benzothiadiazole induces disease resistance in Arabidopsis by activation of the systemic acquired resistance signal transduction pathway. Plant J. 10:71-82.
- Delaney, T. P., Friedrich, L. and Ryals, J. (1995). Arabidopsis signal transduction mutant defective in chemically and biologically induced disease resistance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:6602-6606.
- Neuenschwander, U., Friedrich, L., Delaney, T., Vernooij, B., Kessmann, H., and Ryals, J. (1995). Activation of plant disease
resistance. Aspects Appl Biol. 42:217-225.
- Ryals, J., Lawton, K., Delaney, T. P., Friedrich, L., Kessmann, H., Neuenschwander, U., Uknes, S., Vernooij, B. and Weymann, K.
(1995). Signal Transduction in Systemic Acquired Resistance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:4202-4205.
- Uknes, S., Vernooij, B., Williams, S., Chandler, D., Lawton, K., Delaney, T., Friedrich, L., Weymann, K., Negrotto, D., Gaffney,
T., Gut-Rella, M., Kessmann, H., Alexander, D., Ward, E. and Ryals, J. (1995). Systemic acquired resistance. Hort Science 30:962-963.
- Delaney, T. P., Uknes, S., Vernooij, B., Friedrich, L., Weymann, K., Negrotto, D., Gaffney, T., Gut-Rella, M., Kessmann, H., Ward,
E. and Ryals, J. (1994a). A central role of salicylic acid in plant disease resistance. Science 266:1247-1250.
- Dietrich, R., Delaney, T., Uknes, S., Ward, E., Ryals, J. and Dangl, J. (1994). Arabidopsis mutants simulating disease response. Cell 77:565-577.
- Pepper, A., Delaney, T. P., Washburn, T., Poole, D. and Chory, J. (1994). DET1, a negative regulator of light-mediated development
and gene expression in Arabidopsis, encodes a novel protein that is localized to the nucleus. Cell 78:109-116.
- Delaney, T. P., Friedrich, L., Kessmann, H., Uknes, S., Vernooij, B., Ward, E., Weymann, K. and Ryals, J. (1994b). The molecular biology
of systemic acquired resistance. In M. J. Daniels, J. A. Downie and Anne E. Osbourn (Eds.), Advances in Molecular Genetics of Plant-Microbe Interactions, Vol. 3. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, pp. 339-347.
- Delaney, T. P., Hardison, L. K. and Cattolico, R. A. (1994c). Evolution of plastid genomes: inferences from discordant molecular phylogenies. In C.G Sandgren, R.A. Anderson and J. Kristiansen (Eds.), Chrysophyte Algae: Ecology, Physiology, and Phylogeny. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 25-45.
- Uknes, S., Winter, A., Delaney, T., Vernooij, B., Morse, A., Friedrich, L., Nye, G., Potter, S., Ward, E. and Ryals, J. (1993). Biological induction of systemic acquired resistance in Arabidopsis. Molec. Plant Microbe Interact. 6:692-698. Micrograph on journal cover.
- Pepper, A., Delaney, T. P. and Chory, J. (1993). Genetic interactions in plant photomorphogenesis. Seminars in Develop. Biol. 4:15-22.
- Delaney, T. P. and Cattolico, R. A. (1991). Sequence and secondary structure of chloroplast 16S ribosomal RNA from Olisthodiscus luteus, as inferred from the gene sequence. Nucleic Acids Res. 19:6328.
- Delaney, T. P. and Cattolico, R. A. (1989). Chloroplast ribosomal DNA organization in the chromophytic alga Olisthodiscus luteus. Current Genetics 15:221-229.
- Boczar, B., Delaney, T. P. and Cattolico, R. A. (1989). Gene for the ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase small subunit protein
of the marine chromophyte Olisthodiscus luteus is similar to that of a chemoautotrophic bacterium. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:4996-4999.
- Ryals, J. A., Delaney, T. P. Friedrich, L. B., Weymann, K. B. Lawton, K. A., Ellis, D. M., Uknes; S.J., Jesse, T.P. and Vos, P. (2000). Gene encoding a protein involved in the signal transduction cascade leading to systemic acquired resistance in plants. PTO Number 06091004.
- Ryals, J. A., Uknes, S. J., Delaney, T. P., Ward, E. and Steiner, H. (1998) Method for breeding disease resistance into plants. PTO Number 05792904.
- Ryals, J., Delaney, T. Friedrich, L. B., Baldwin, K. B. Johnson, E. J. (Pending) Gene conferring disease resistance in plants and uses thereof. Filed Dec. 13, 1996, PTO Number 60/033,177.