University of Vermont

Office of Community-University Partnerships & Service Learning

Seniors Champion Innovative Renewable Energy Projects

Tad Cooke and Erick Crockenberg are testing whether a cheap material readily available to many Vermont farmers—a waste product, in fact—can be used to heat a greenhouse at a minimal cost. The material? Cow manure.

In its early phases, their project was a recipient of a UVM Public Research and Civic Endeavors Scholarship, which allowed them to investigate compost energy capture at Bread & Butter Farm in Shelburne.

Continue Reading...

Taking Service-Learning Further

Whether you have completed one service-learning course or many, there are opportunities to continue connecting your academic skills and interests to real-world experiences with community partners. Come and talk with us about finding the right opportunity for your interests!

Service-Learning Internships

To work more closely with a community partner or local employer, students can complete a Service-Learning Internship for academic credit. These courses allow you to pursue an internship with a community partner, while engaging in structured reflection connected to your major.

  • Several departments offer SL internship courses, including Sociology, RSENR, and HDFS. Beginning in Fall ’15, SL internships will also be offered in the College of Arts & Sciences (contact Dana Christiansen for more information).
  • If your department does not offer a service-learning internship, you can take EDSS 239: Service-Learning Internship for variable credit, offered in the spring, fall and summer.
  • If you’re interested in Vermont-based placements, consider becoming a Vermont Research Intern with the Center for Research on Vermont.
  • The Anna Whitcomb Internship Scholarship provides funding for students who take on unpaid internships.
  • Students with particular interest in food systems can pursue a Food Systems Internship through UVM Extension. Visit the Food Systems Internship page to learn more, or connect with Program Coordinator Matt Myers.

Community-Engaged Research

You can win funding or earn academic credit for research in collaboration with a community partner. CUPS and the Office of Undergraduate Research offer summer scholarships for community-based research. Work with your professors and/or community partners to develop proposals for the Undergraduate Research Scholarships, which provide funding for research projects in collaboration with community partners. (See the sidebar for an example!) 

Last modified May 20 2015 11:39 AM