Community-University Partnerships & Service Learning
Community Engagement ResourcesThe Office of Community-University Partnerships for Service-Learning is located in Billings, room 409. We are happy to offer personal assistance, consultation on curriculum development, links to resources, etc. Call us at 802-656-0095 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to talk with us.
To download service-learning tools and examples, visit Resources for Service-Learning Faculty
Online Resources:Service-Learning TA Specific:
- Faculty Guide to Service-Learning (pdf)
- Faculty Guide to International Service-Learning (.pdf)
- Community Partner Guide to Service-Learning
- Service-Learning in the Disciplines (examples)
- Service-Learning Reflection Manual Created by UVM Professor, Chris Koliba, PhD
- For Community Partners: Tips for Partnering with UVM
- Service-Learning and Student Development:
Implications for Course/Program Design (Presentation by
Carrie Williams Howe and Kate Westdijk, delivered as part of New
England Campus Compact's Webinar Series)
~Handout #1: Student Development and Service-Learning
~Handout #2: Service-Learning in the Curriculum (3-phase model)
- Dispelling the Myths of Critical Reflection (Article
Carrie Williams Howe); published in the Community Works
Journal, April 2010 (www.communityworksjournal.org).
- "Voices of our Partners: Suggestions for Improving Service-Learning Partnerships" (A survey of community partners' experiences with UVM service-learning courses)
- CUPS Financial Support Programs
- Local and federal funding links for communities
- The Fund for International Service-Learning offers a scholarship in the amount of $500 for a student participating in a service-learning-based study abroad program
Recommended Internal Links (other UVM Offices and Programs):
Recommended External Links:
- National Campus Compact: A national coalition of university presidents committed to the civic purposes of higher education. Their site contains information on Service-Learning partnerships & pedagogy, civic engagement, legislation and policy, faculty rewards, publications, jobs, and more. View the resources portion of their website for an extensive list of online Service-Learning resources.
- Vermont Campus Compact: UVM is a member of the Vermont division of the National Campus Compact. Visit their site for local programs, events, and training opportunities.
- Colorado State University Service-Learning Program Developed as a virtual guide to, and library of, Service-Learning. Contains syllabi and resources.
- Service Learning in the Disciplines
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse: This website provides access to resources, research, and best practices in service-learning. Their library is a great place to start for finding articles and books on service-learning related topics.Faculty Guide to Service Learning on the National Service-Learning Clearinghouse (large pdf document)
- Skill Sheets: A web resource to support student personal and professional development in the core skill areas of research, self management, reading, listening, writing, presentation and team management. Contains activities for student "self assessment" of skill level within each area. Contact CUPS or visit the CUPS office resource library to check out a copy of the 'Skill Sheets' student reference book.
- CUPS Section at the UVM Library Reserves Page (type in CUPS as department in search)
- CUPS Library Resources
- The UVM Library: many Service-Learning References are available. Check library.uvm.edu for specific titles
Last modified December 03 2012 03:08 PM