Asian Studies Outreach Program
About Overseas Programs
ASOP has conducted overseas programs for teachers since 1994. The programs have assisted in enhancing teachers' knowledge about Asia and providing first-hand experiences for hundreds of teachers. During the summer of 2015, the Asian Studies Outreach Program will organize the Institute on China and it's Cultures.
For Vermont Educators: The Institute on Japan and its Cultures in 2015
The Institute on Japan and its Cultures is a study abroad program for Vermont educators. The program, which includes three instate planning session and three weeks overseas, provides participants with the opportunity to study various aspects of Japanese culture such as economic development, education, and women's social status, and minority cultures in Japan.
Applications: Applications will be available in September 2014.
General Guideline for All Overseas Programs
- The overseas program is open to Vermont teachers and school administrators only.
- Each participant must receive his or her school principal's approval to apply for and participate in the program.
- Teachers in the overseas program are expected to participate in the conferences and workshops sponsored by ASOP in the following year. They are also expected to teach about the country in their schools when they return from abroad.
- Those who have visited Asia through the ASOP sponsored program must teach about the country for at least two years in order to qualify for participation in another overseas program. This insures a broad base of participation by Vermont teachers.
- The cost indicated in the program brochure for the program covers international transportation, domestic trans portion, instructional fees in Asia, field trips, housing, and three meals a day.
- Participants who withdraw from the course after the first spring planning session date will be billed for the full amount of cost which includes UVM course tuition and all program fees.
Last modified August 28 2014 02:13 PM