Asian Studies Outreach Program
About the Teacher Exchange Program
ASOP has facilitated Teacher Exchanges for Vermont Teachers to Thai and Chinese schools since 2005. Each interested candidate will meet with the director of the Asian Studies Outreach Program, Bill Williams, to help determine if the Teacher Exchange program is the right program, and to help decide on a school.
Teacher Exchange Program
- Program exclusively for Vermont teachers
- Teacher exchange opportunities in Thailand and China, rural and urban areas
- Opportunity to work with the home institutes of past Visiting Scholars
New! UVM Graduates Interested in Teaching in Thailand or China
- UVM students graduating from the College of Education and Social Services with a teaching degree are invited to speak to Bill Williams regarding schools in Thailand and China
- View the FAQ form on teaching abroad
- View the Information Sheet on schools in Thailand and China
Questions to ask yourself before apply to the Teacher Exchange Program:
- What country do you want to teach in?
- Would you rather live in a rural or urban area?
- What grade level would you like to teach?
Meet Former Teacher Exchange Participants
In 2009, Dean and Dona Metlzer took on the challenge of a lifetime by leaving their school and community for a year to teach in Lijiang, China.
Read the 2009-10 "Annual Report From Randolph Union High School" that appeared in the Herald of Randolph. The report mentions educational enhancement of the school by the foreign exchange efforts of the Meltzers.Read the article in the Herald of Randolph here.
The Meltzers communicated often with the ASOP office, sharing their adventures through emails. Read one of the "Letters from the Meltzers" here.
Current Teacher Exchange Participants
Michael Stuart, Vermont teacher, is spending half a year in Thailand and the second half of the year in China. Through his blog, www.ThailandtoChina.com, Michael has created a wonderful medium for students in schools in Vermont and Thailand to communicate with one another.
Last modified August 29 2012 03:36 PM