Step 9: Things to-do while you're away

step 9Have a fantastic experience! Here are a few things that you should do while away (while learning and having fun, of course):

Register courses with the Office of Transfer Affairs

In the event of a course change, please notify the Office of Transfer Affairs by e-mail, or at (802) 656-8230.

Check Your UVM Email Account!

UVM will continue to send official notices to your UVM e-mail account, so be sure to check it frequently, or forward it to the e-mail address you will be checking. E-mails we may send include reminders about course registration, housing, and individual communications in the event of an emergency in your host country.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
— James Michener

Keep in touch with family and friends

Study abroad is an exhilarating experience where students explore new levels of freedom and independence. Although you are an adult, people still care for and worry about you, so please keep in touch with family and friends. Let them know you've arrived safely.

Register with the embassy abroad

It's advisable to register your personal contact information and itinerary with the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This enables the local embassy to contact you regarding security warnings or in the event of an emergency.

Locate local medical facilities

Inquire with your host institution's international office or program provider regarding the local healthcare system and the process of locating a doctor. The local embassy or consulate can also help you locate English-speaking doctors in your city or country. In the event of a major medical emergency or situation in remote locations, contact SOS International at the number on your SOS card or on the emergency section of their website.

Your UVM Status while abroad

Your status while studying abroad on an approved program is "Continuing Off Campus." Your Dean's Office will expect you to return to UVM upon completion of your program unless they hear otherwise from you.

If you wish to extend your Study Abroad beyond the period approved through the Study Abroad Approval Process,

Be sure to notify OIE of any changes to your study abroad plans.

Students who participate on Approved Study Abroad Programs and complete the Study Abroad Approval Process may be eligible to receive some financial aid while abroad. Financial aid packages will be recalculated to reflect the costs of the study abroad program. Students receiving financial aid should note the following:

Guide to UVM Libraries while abroad

Preparing to Return to UVM

In order to facilitate a smoother transition back to UVM it is important that you take care of some things BEFORE you leave your host country/institution/program.

Registering for UVM courses while abroad

You can register for the next semester's UVM courses online if you have access to the internet. If you do not have access to the internet, you must designate someone to enroll you for your classes while you are abroad. Make sure they have your access information so they can log into your account. Choose someone who's reliable and trustworthy.

Next step: When you return

Securing academic credit for your hard work is a crucial step. Step 10: Things to-do when you return.