Step 8: Plan for your departure

step 8Planning to leave can be both a fun and stressful time. Let us make it easier on you with orientation and a thorough guidebook compiled by people who've been through it and know what you should pay attention to before you go.

Travel Insurance

Students are strongly encouraged to purchase travel insurance through an independent insurance provider in the event that you must withdraw from your study abroad program, due to personal, housing or academic reasons. You may also add on "Cancel for any reason" insurance, which is also strongly recommended, but must be purchased at the time of purchasing your airline ticket.

Attend your pre-departure orientation

All UVM students studying abroad must attend a pre-departure orientation the Saturday before final exam week the semester before studying abroad. Details regarding pre-departure orientation will be provided to students when they return their completed SAAF to the OIE. Please attend the session for the region of the world in which you will be studying.

Note: This pre-departure orientation does not apply to students participating on UVM faculty-led programs or semester-long programs in Oaxaca and Belize.

Carefully review UVM's Study Abroad Pre-Departure Guidebook

Need some advice on packing? Interested in learning more about travel insurance? The Office of International Education has compiled a thorough and handy reference book for all students traveling abroad. Read the UVM Study Abroad Pre-Departure Guidebook (PDF)

Topics covered:

<empty>Other Sources of Information

Register with the U.S. Department of State

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Register here.

Register with International S.O.S.

This service is provided by the University of Vermont to all students who study abroad. It is not health insurance. Rather, it provides around-the-clock assistance while you are abroad in the event of medical or personal emergencies, legal referrals, security warnings, etc. They can even assist you before you leave the country: Not sure if your prescription medicine is allowed through customs? International SOS can advise you. Also, you can register your medical and vaccination records and your emergency contacts so that they may coordinate your care in the event of an emergency. It can provide both security and assistance in unexpected and rare times of crisis, so take the time to review its services at the International S.O.S. website. Your International SOS card and UVM Member number is provided to you at study abroad pre-departure orientation.

Next step: To do while you're away

Of course, "have fun" is on this list, but there are other important things you have to attend to while away. Please move on to Step 9: Things to-do while you're away.