Nicholas J. Gotelli
| Nicholas J. Gotelli
Department of Biology
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
My research addresses basic questions about the organization of animal and plant communities. What are the forces that determine the species composition and abundance of natural assemblages? How do competition and predation affect local community structure? What are the biotic and abiotic factors that control population growth and the risk of extinction? Current research projects include enrichment and tipping points in aquatic ecosystems, effects of climate change on ant assemblages of eastern deciduous forests, and null model analyses of community structure and biodiversity.
Research projects of my talented graduate students include disease transmission in New England amphibians (Lauren Ash), temperature adaptation in common woodland ants and their responses to climate change (Andrew Nguyen), and proteomic indicators of tipping points in the aquatic food web of Sarracenia (Amanda Northrop).
= click icon to download in pdf format.
- Lyons, S.K., K.L. Amatangelo, A.K. Behrenstneyer, A. Bercovici, J.L. Blois, M. Davis, W.A. DiMichele, A. Du, J.T. Eronen, J.T. Faith, G.R. Graves, N. Jud, C. Labandeira, C.M. Looy, B. McGill, J.H. Miller, D. Patterson, S. Pineda-Munoz, R. Potts, B. Riddle, R. Terry, A. Toth, W. Ulrich, A. Villasenor, S. Wing, H. Anderson, J. Anderson, D. Waller, and N.J. Gotelli. 2016. Holocene shifts in the assembly of plant and animal communities implicate human impacts. Nature 529:80-U183.
- Nguyen, A.D., N.J. Gotelli, and S.H. Cahan. 2016. The evolution of heat shock protein sequences, cis-regulatory elements, and expression profiles in the eusocial Hymenoptera. BMC Evolutionary Biology 16.
- Dambros, C.S., N.C. Caceres, L. Magnus, and N.J. Gotelli. 2015. Effects of neutrality, geometric constraints, climate, and habitat quality on species richness and composition of Atlantic Forest small-mammals. Global Ecology and Biogeography 24:1084-1093.
- Gotelli, N.J., and J. Stanton-Geddes. 2015. Climate change, genetic markers and species distribution modelling. Journal of Biogeography 42:1577-1585.
- Magurran, A.E., M. Dornelas, F. Moyes, N.J. Gotelli, and B. McGill. 2015. Rapid biotic homogenization of marine fish assemblages. Nature Communications 6.
- Dornelas, M., N.J. Gotelli, B. McGill, H. Shimadzu, F. Moyes, C. Sievers, and A.E. Magurran. 2014. Assemblage time series reveal biodiversity change but not systematic loss. Science 344:296-299.
- Sirota, J., B. Baiser, N.J. Gotelli, and A.M. Ellison 2013. Organic-matter loading determines regime shifts and alternative states in an aquatic ecosystem. Proceedings Of The National Academy of Sciences 110: 7742-7747.
the Biology Department Homepage