UVM's MANRRS Chapter
MANRRS Constitution and Bylaws
Article I: Name
The name of this non-profit society shall be Minorities in Agriculture and Natural Resources Association, The University of Vermont (UVM) Chapter of the national society for Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS - UVM). The national society for Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS) is the governing body for MANRRS - UVM. MANRRS - UVM will abide by all the rules and regulations in accordance with the MANRRS national constitution subject to adherence to the policies, rules and regulations for student organizations of UVM.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this society shall be to provide a framework for the academic, professional and social development of minority students within the fields of agriculture, natural resources and related science areas.
Article III: Members
Each individual member shall be classified as regular, affiliate or associate depending upon the member's disciplinary association as defined by the national society.
- Individuals whose disciplines are usually included in agricultural, natural resources, and related sciences shall be classified as regular members of the society.
- Individuals not included in the regular or affiliate member classifications who are granted membership in the society shall be classified as associate members.
Registered undergraduate and graduate students, currently employed faculty and staff, individuals who have previously held membership or who are UVM alumni and all others interested in furthering the purpose of the society may be admitted to membership.
Each member shall also be classified as an Undergraduate Student Member, a Graduate Student Member or a Professional Member.
- An individual enrolled full-time in a program that leads to the award of an associate, baccalaureate or other undergraduate degree shall be designated as an Undergraduate Student Member.
- An individual enrolled full-time in a post-baccalaureate professional or graduate degree program shall be designated as a Graduate Student Member.
- All other persons granted membership shall be designated as Professional Members.
All members whose financial obligations to MANRRS - UVM as stated in Article X, Section 3 and to MANRRS are current and shall be considered as active members. Only active members may vote, hold office, preside, officiate, or solicit funds on behalf of the society.
Article IV: Officers
The officers of MANRRS - UVM shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Historian/Parliamentarian. These officers shall perform the duties prescribed by this constitution and by the parliamentary authority, Roberts Rules of Order.
Officers shall be elected annually at the first business meeting of the fall semester. Elected officers shall take office at the second business meeting of the semester. The term of office for all regularly elected officers shall be one year from the date when they assume office.
The current elected officers and the advisor(s) shall constitute the Executive Board of the society.
No member shall concurrently hold more than one elected office, and no member shall be eligible to serve more than two (2) consecutive full terms of office in the same office.
In the event of an elected office vacancy, a special election may be called by the Executive Board at any regular meeting to fill the position of the vacated office. The term of office for officers elected between elections shall end when officers assume office after the next regular election.
Written (electronic) notice shall be mailed to all active members at least one week in advance of any meeting at which an election of officer(s) will take place.
All full-time, registered, active student members of the society are eligible for office in the society. Any limitations on eligibility for office will be subject to Supreme Court approval.
Article V: Meetings
Regular meetings of MANRRS - UVM shall be held at least monthly during the fall and spring semesters with a minimum of four (4) regular meetings each semester. The schedule of meetings shall be determined by a majority vote of the active members at the beginning of each semester.
Special meetings can be called at the request of the President or the Executive Board.
All active members will be given adequate notice prior to all regular and special meetings.
Article VI: Duties of Officers
The President shall preside over meetings, serve as an ex-officio member of committees, represent the society when necessary, and appoint committees with the approval of the Executive Board.
The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President when the President is unable to preside. The Vice-President shall serve on committees of his/her choice as an active member.
The Secretary shall be responsible for all correspondence and for recording and maintaining reports and minutes of the society. The Secretary shall serve on committees of his/her choice as an active member.
The Treasurer shall be responsible for maintaining all financial records, collecting and disbursing funds, and preparing financial reports. The Treasurer shall be a member of the Fund Raising Committee.
The Historian/Parliamentarian shall be responsible for recording chapter activities. The Historian/Parliamentarian shall serve on the Recognition Committee.
Article VII: Committees
Annually MANRRS - UVM shall select at the meeting when elected officers take office a Program Committee, a Budget Committee, a Fund Raising Committee and a Recognition Committee
- Program Committee members shall be nominated and approved by majority vote of the active membership. The Committee shall have responsibilities for planning and coordinating implementation of all society activities and for promoting public relations for the society.
- The Budget Committee shall consist of the Executive Board. The Budget Committee shall oversee the fiscal responsibility of the society.
- Beginning in Fall 2009, the Fund Raising Committee members, other than the Treasurer, shall be nominated and approved by majority vote of the active membership. The Committee shall have the responsibility for all solicitations and other activities to provide the finances to support the society's programs, activities, and other fiscal duties.
- The Recognition Committee members, other than the Historian/Parliamentarian, shall be nominated and approved by majority vote of the active membership. The Committee shall have the responsibility for ensuring the chapter meets all requirements to be an official Student Government Association Club and a recognized MANRRS student chapter. This committee will also be responsible for the marketing of MANRRS- UVM.
The President, with the approval of the Executive Board may appoint members for other committees on an ad hoc basis. The Executive Board's charge shall assign the responsibilities and terms of service for ad hoc committees.
Article VIII: Voting
Only active members of MANRRS - UVM shall vote in election of officers and conduct of the society's business.
For all elections and conduct of business, a quorum shall consist of thirty-three (33) percent of the active members.
For all elections and conduct of business, a majority shall consist of fifty (50) percent plus one (1) of those voting with a minimum of fifty (50) percent plus one (1) of the society's quorum.
Article IX: Elections
Nominations for office shall be made from the floor with the consent of the nominee. Voting shall be conducted by secret e-ballot.
Article X: Finances
All funds of MANRRS - UVM shall be deposited in and handled through the Student Government Association (SGA) shall be approved by the society's Treasurer and President in addition to such approval as may be required by SGA. Checks shall be signed by the society's President, Treasurer or adviser(s).
Expenditures of greater than fifty dollars ($50.00) shall be presented by the Treasurer at a scheduled business meeting and shall be subject to active membership approval as an item of business.
Dues assessment shall be determined annually by the Executive Board with an amount, not to be excessive, approved as an item of business at the first business meeting of the fall semester. Payment of dues shall be a condition of active membership.
Article XI: Adviser
A currently employed full-time member of the University's faculty or staff chosen by the society's membership under the rules for election of officers shall be the Adviser(s) for MANRRS - UVM.
Article XII: Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order shall be the parliamentary authority for MANRRS - UVM in instances not covered by the society's constitution.
Article XIII: Amendments
This constitution, and any By-Laws thereto, may be amended at any meeting of MANRRS - UVM, providing the proposed amendment has been submitted in writing to all active members at least fifteen (15) days prior to voting on the amendment.
The quorum needed for voting on amendments to this constitution, or any By-Laws, shall be that specified in Article VIII, Section 2.
The majority needed to approve amendments to this constitution, or any By-Laws, shall be that specified in Article VIII,
Copies of this society's constitution shall be made available to anyone upon request.
Last modified November 20 2008 11:23 AM