Department of Physics
82 University Place
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405-0125
kelvin.chu at uvm.edu
I am currently on assignment with the National Science Foundation in the Office
of International and Integrative Activities.
I served as the Senior Associate Director for Vermont State EPSCoR
until August 2012. This included serving as the Associate Director for
Vermont EPSCoR and the Vermont Genetics Network. In addition, I
served on the Executive Committee for the Northeast
I received my Sc.B. in Physics from Brown University and my Ph.D. in
from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I
was a Director's Postdoctoral Fellow at Los Alamos National
working on kinetic crystallography of heme proteins before coming
to UVM in 1998.
I am interested in the structural and functional consequences of
dynamics of biological molecules. The projects in my lab are
aimed at achieving a quantitative understanding of biological function
and enzyme mechanism. My interests include spectroscopy of
proteins and nucleic acids and the use of biomolecules in
nanotechnological applications. I am affiliated with the Center for X-ray
Crystallography and the Structural Biology
effort at UVM.
- Magnetic circular dichroism on small organic molecules (meso tetra-phenylporphyrin)
- Protein dynamics of heme proteins (myoglobin,
- W. DeWitt and K. Chu "Imaging Protein Statistical Substate Occupancy in a Spectrum-Function Phase Space." Phys. Rev. Lett. 105:098101 (2010). [Link]
- K. Chu “Determination of Reaction
Intermediate Structures in Heme Proteins.” Meth. Molec. Biol.,
Macromolecular Crystallography Protocols. The Humana Press, NJ, USA.
- H. Frauenfelder, B. H. McMahon, R.H. Austin, K. Chu
J.T. Groves "The role of structure, energy landscape, dynamics, and
allostery in the enzymatic function of myoglobin." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
- I. Schlichting and K. Chu "Trapping intermediates in
crystal: ligand binding to myoglobin.” Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol.10:744-752 (2000). [Link]
- I. Schlichting, J. Berendzen, K. Chu, A.M. Stock,
Maves, D.E. Benson, R.M. Sweet, D. Ringe, G.A. Petsko and S.G. Sligar
"The catalytic pathway of cytochrome
P450cam at atomic resolution.” Science
- M. Brunori, B. Vallone, F. Cutruzzola, C.
Travaglini-Allocatelli, J. Berendzen, K. Chu, R.M. Sweet, and I.
Schlichting "The role of cavities in protein dynamics: crystal
structure of a novel photolytic intermediate of myoglobin" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA
- K. Chu, J. Vojtĕchovský, B.H. McMahon, R.M.
Sweet, J. Berendzen and I. Schlichting "Crystal structure of a new
ligand-binding intermediate in wildtype