University of Vermont

Integrated Biological Science


Frequently Asked Questions, BISC Major

Should I enter through CAS or CALS?  The requirements for the BS in Biological Science are identical, whether you enter through CAS or CALS.  However there are some differences among colleges in the other requirements for your degree. Students in both colleges must satisfy distribution requirements in English writing, social sciences, humanities, and diversity.  CAS students may begin with a Teacher-Advisor (TAP) course and must complete a foreign language. CALS students must begin with a foundations sequence in communication and information technology.  Many, but not all, CALS students study foreign language.  Finally, a few courses you might want to choose as electives are open only to CAS students. 


What is the difference between the BA and BS degrees?  The BA in Biology and the BS degree in Biological Science are very similar.  The core sequence is identical for the two degrees. The BS degree requires more advanced life science electives. The BA degree requires fewer advanced life science credits but you must complete a minor in a second area of study.


Can I change majors?  Many of the life science majors on campus have similar introductory requirements.  That makes it relatively easy to switch majors into or out of Integrated Biological Science if you find that your goals have changed.  It is also possible to transfer between CAS and CALS.


Who are the faculty in Integrated Biological Science?  Faculty are chosen from departments of Biology, Plant Biology, and Molecular Biology to team-teach the integrated introductory courses .  Your advanced life science electives will be selected from other departments on campus.   That gives you the opportunity to design your own degree around the best courses selected from many departments.


Does Integrated Biological Science satisfy the pre-medical requirements? Yes.


Can I do undergraduate research?  More than half of the Integrated Biological Science majors earn credit for undergraduate research.  Up to six research credits can be used as part of your life science electives.  Students in Integrated Biological Science may choose faculty research mentors from departments across the university.  A wide range of projects are possible.  Some students work in labs at the UVM Medical School; others do field research projects in ecology or evolutionary biology.  The Undergraduate Research Office is designed to help students get involved in undergraduate research.  

Last modified January 10 2010 09:08 PM

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131