Flynn Avenue (formerly Park Avenue, changed 1934) looking west from Briggs Street intersection

April 17, 1931; Louis L. McAllister

October 22, 2006; Brandee Wagner: 180641759E;4924023N; 158ft.

This photograph shows the streetcar rails being removed in 1931, as a result of the decision by the city of Burlington to convert to a bus-only transportation system.(1)  The building seen on the left is the Vermont Structural Steel Corporation complex, consisting of 4-5 (varying within a timeline) large, connected buildings.(2)

The building on the right is actually the first in a series of three buildings that run north from that point perpendicular to Flynn Avenue.  All of these buildings were addressed as 207 Flynn Avenue.  The small 1-story building seen on the left of the photo was used by the Vermont Milk Chocolate Company for the extent of their occupancy in the complex.  It disappeared sometime between 1942 and 1960, correlating with the fact that the Milk Chocolate company had left the complex by 1944. As the first inhabitants of the space, coming in 1919, the Vermont Milk Chocolate Company remained in the buildings until 1943.(3)  Throughout the years, by looking at the Sanborn maps for the time period, one can see how the space needed and used by the company waxed and waned, probably depending on how business was.  The United Maple Syrup Company and the Everpure Ice Corporation (both signs can be seen in the photograph) appeared in 1931.  It is unclear when the Everpure Ice Corporation left, but according to the Burlington City directories, the maple company had left by 1953. (4)




(1) "Ancient Electric Car Burns As Taps Sound For Trolleys," The Burlington Free Press, August 5, 1929, Sec.A,1.

(2) Go to: Briggs Street Information

(3) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for years 1919-1943 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

(4) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for years 1931-1953 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).


After this photograph was taken, several businesses came in and out of the complex on the right.  A very short list of its occupants since 1931 would include the Westinghouse Electric Company and the Canada Dry Bottling Company;(1) The Canada Broom Handle Company and General Electric;(2) McAullif Inc. McAPCO (office products), North Star Leasing, and Bull HN Information Systems.(3) 

As noted before, the small building on the right in the corner was originally part of the Vermont Milk Chocolate Company’s production space, and disappeared sometime between 1942 and 1960,(4) probably shortly after the company left in 1943.(5) 

However, the three larger buildings that were originally part of the complex at 207 Flynn Avenue still remain today and are in use.  The building looks well cared for, and its current residents include a very eclectic mix of businesses, ranging from a deli, a women’s pilates center, an art gallery, and a few small manufacturing operations.  With the exception of the newly placed median strips and a few trees in the 2006 photo, the two streetscapes are eerily similar in their clearly industrial/business focused purposes. 






(1) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for year 1951 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

(2) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for year 1957 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

(3) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for year 1992 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

(4)nsurance Map of Burlington, VT (New York: Sanborn Map Company, 1942, 1960).

(5) Manning's Burlington & Winooski Directory for year 1913 (Springfield H.A. Manning Co).

Next: Flynn Avenue looking west.

Back to: Ferguson & Scarff Addition Map.

Back to: Flynn Avenue looking east from the train tracks.

Back to: Burlington, Vermont: South of Pearl Street & Colchester Avenue.

Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection