Pine Street - Between Flynn & Ferguson Avenue
Looking North

February 23, 1940; Louis L. McAllister

October 22, 2006; Caitlin Meives
UTM 180642076E; 4923941N

Looking north, this view shows the intersection of Flynn Avenue and Pine Street, taken between Flynn Avenue and Ferguson Avenue.  The construction in this image was part of a WPA Project.  The description on the back of the photograph reads,

“. . .excavation practically completed. . .ready for the sand cushion and telford base. Some of this excavation is being done by hand labor using wedges and sledge hammers as shown in the foreground and the remainder is being done with the aid of Paving Breakers and a No. 105 Ingersol-Rand Air compressor. Excavation on this block was from 20 inches to 24 inches in depth in hard frost, the frost going to a depth of approximately five feet.”[33]

On the left of the image once again is St. Anthony's (see Pine Street & Flynn Avenue; for more information).  On the right is a view of #880 Pine, Bedard's Cash Market.  For more information on this structure see the Pine Street & Flynn Avenue image.  Past Bedard's sits 317 Flynn Avenue, formerly Park Avenue.  This house first appears in the city directory in 1925 as 317 Park Avenue.  Residents are listed as Adelard and Conrad Dion.  Adelard Dion was a weaver with Queen City Cotton Company on Lakeside Avenue (see Lakeside & Central Avenue) and remained at 317 in 1940 when McAllister took the image.

[33] (author unknown), Photo Caption, Louis L. McAllister

Arthur Bedard operated his grocery until his death between 1958 and 1960.  From 1960 until 1962 his wife, Florence M. Bedard, became proprietor of Bedard's Cash Market.  From 1963 through 1969 the city directory lists 880 Pine first as Posey's Market then as Ed's Superette, however, the 1960 Sanborn Insurance map shows 880 Pine to be a private garage that was formerly attached to the back of Bedard's.  To further confuse matters, a local union hall is listed at 880 Pine from 1970 until at least 1990.  Whether the maps or the directories are inaccurate or if Ed's Superette operated in a garage structure is unclear.  What is clear, however, is that the original 880 Pine—the structure that housed Bedard's Cash Market—no longer exists.#317 Flynn Avenue still exists and beyond that is “Red” Roberts Store and Deli at 316 Flynn Avenue.
Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection