Marble Avenue looking west From Hayward Street

UTM 18 0642130E 4925531N

L.L. McAllister
June 30, 1942

S.E. Arena
October 16, 2006

This image is one of several showing the Hayward Street Improvement project that took place between 1941 and 1945. The construction included work on Marble Avenue and Howard Street. This view shows the pavement process midway through completion. Here a stone base has been laid down and then penetrated by an asphalt binder, which would have been sprayed on. Once the curb work is completed, another wearing layer of asphalt macadam would be constructed.(1)

The houses in this view are mostly simple, wood frame structures, housing laborers and other working class residents. Many of the houses were divided into 2 or more units, sometimes with a rear, detached apartment. It was common to find a widow, in particular, letting out space on her property to single men, as was the case with #34 Marble Avenue. In this house, midway down the block on the right, lived Mrs. Jane Gokey, who rented out an apartment to John Auben, at the time employed with Natural Sugars.(2)

(1) City of Burlington Annual Report, 1942; 169

(2) Burlington City Directory, 1942

    Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Burlington, 1942

Very little has changed in this view since 1942. The house second on the right, #42 has enclosed the front porch. This alteration is typical of the area. Many large trees lining the street have been lost, possibly to Dutch Elm disease, an epidemic first reported in the United States in 1928. The disease, caused by a fungus continued to be a problem through the 1970’s.(3)

(3) Wikepedia Accessed Dec. 3, 2006


Return to Hayward Street Neighborhood homepage

Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection