Hayward Street looking south from Marble Avenue

UTM 18 0642120E 4925531N

L.L. McAllister
June 30, 1942

S.E. Arena
October 16, 2006

This image is one of several showing the Hayward Street Improvement project that took place between 1941 and 1945. The construction included work on Marble Avenue and Howard Street. This view shows the pavement process midway through completion. Here a stone base has been laid down and then penetrated by an asphalt binder, which would have been sprayed on. Once the curb work is completed, another wearing layer of asphalt macadam would be constructed.(1)  Many of the houses in this view were built as part of Charles Hayward’s development plan for Hayward Street between Marble Avenue and Howard Street in the 1880’s. His vision was to build small houses in this area for the Pine Street Mill workers, re-dividing several existing lots and creating many new ones. It is not clear whether all of the lots were developed at this time.(2)

(1) City of Burlington Annual Report, 1942; 169

(2) G.M. Hopkins Map, 1890

    The Burlington Book. Historic Preservation Program, Department of History, University of Vermont (Burlington: UVM HP Program, 1986), 13

Little has changed since the 1942 photo. Nothing has been demolished and no new houses have been constructed. The neighborhood continues families who have made few alterations to their homes. Many large trees lining the street have been lost, possibly to Dutch Elm disease, an epidemic first reported in the United States in 1928. The disease, caused by beetles continued to be a problem through the 1970’s.(3)

(3) Wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_elm_disease Accessed Dec. 3, 2006


Return to Hayward Street Neighborhood homepage

Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection