Locust Street looking east from Charlotte Street

UTM 18 0642249E 4924854N

L.L. McAllister
circa 1939

S.E. Arena
October 19, 2006

As development continued south from Hayward Street larger homes were being constructed on more open lots. In the lower left hand corner is the intersection of Caroline Street opened within the previous 10 years. The four white houses beyond that are numbered respectively 129, 126, 130 and 134 Charlotte Street, all built around 1931. The lack of mature trees and open space between houses indicate that it hasn’t been long since this was still an open field. The houses in this area were single family and were owned by middle class people, such as William Starr in #126 who was the proprietor for the “Miss Burlington” Diner and his neighbor in #129, Albert Gravel, supervisor at E.B. & A.C. Whiting.(1) Construction on the right is for #143-149 Locust St., the first houses built after the completion of the street around 1938.  At this point the new sidewalks, curbing and gutters are finished, with only paving left to complete.(2)

(1) Burlington City Directories, 1938, 1939

    Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for Burlington, 1938, 1942

(2) City of Burlington Annual Report, 1939

Although much of the current view is obscured by mature tree growth, the houses have remained unchanged. The open space on the left in the foreground of the 1939 photo where there appeared to be a garden, was divided into several more lots where houses were constructed around 1950.(3) The houses on the right remain and a few more have been added, but end at the entrance to Calahan Park.

(3) Burlington City Directories, 1948-1951

    Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for Burlington, 1938, 1942, 1960


Return to Hayward Street Neighborhood homepage

Historic Burlington Project
Depression Era Streetscapes: Old North End | Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830
Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students in HP 206 Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser - in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of University of Vermont Library Special Collections, Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection