Easterly view of North Street from intersection at Park Street, L.L. McAllister, August 24, 1930

          This image is a 1930 McAllister image of the construction at the corner of North Street and Park Street. There is a truck that appears to be involved in removing street car tracks and hauling sacks of Incor mix-in-place concrete for paving. We can also see 78 North Street and 140 Park Street.According to the National Register Nomination Continuation Sheet, 78 North Street was built c. 1888. As it appears on the 1898 Sanborn map, and as architectural evidence suggests much the same, this is an appropriate date for the structure. The structure started its existence as a shoe repair and grocery shop on the first floor, with apartments above and in an ell addition, the date of which has not yet been traced. After its life as a shoe repair shop, the shop space then became a barbershop. However, it is after 1930 that this little structure became a local landmark .140 Park Street was build c. 1900 as shop/residence, as much of the street is. It became 138 Park Street sometime before 1921.{1}


{1}National Register of Historic Citations for the City of Burlington VT





Easterly view of North Street from intersection at Park Street, Michaela Hutchins, October 18, 2005. UTM coordinates (NAD 83) 0641744, 4927249.

      The present day image pictured here shows the very same corner in a very different light. The street is now very busy. Trucks and cars are present in abundance and traffic lights and street sights have appeared. We also see a changed to the façade of 140 (138) having the large shop windows removed and replaced by smaller windows surrounded by siding. In 1933, Peter A. Colompos bought the building and ran it as a saloon. In 1936, Pete started to fly to Boston every Tuesday night to learn how to make ice cream from H.P. Hood. After he had mastered ice cream making, he converted the store into "Pete's Ice Cream". During the course of the next few years, the store changed names to Superior Home Ice Cream, and with that name change, the first creamee (Soft Serve) machine came to Burlington. After Pete's death in 1962, his wife took over the shop and renamed it "Mom's Grocery Shop". This lasted until 1971, when she leased it out. Today that shop is still known as Pete's Corner Store .The use for this building has not changed since its construction. It is still a multi-use structure.


{1}Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods Vol. III By David J. Blow, Chitten County Historical Society 2003.


Back  -  Next


Return to North Street Photograph List

Historic Burlington Project
Burlington 1890 | Burlington 1877 | Burlington 1869 | Burlington 1853 | Burlington 1830

Produced by University of Vermont Historic Preservation Program graduate students
in HP 206: Researching Historic Structures and Sites - Prof. Thomas Visser
in collaboration with UVM Landscape Change Program
Historic images courtesy of Louis L. McAllister Photograph Collection, University of Vermont Library Special Collections