The Drew house (Whiting Hall), located at 203 South Willard street, is a two and one-half-story, three by two bay Italianate structure that was built in 1876-77. The brick Italianate structure was built for prominent Burlington attorney John Drew with a three-story rear porch to view the Champlain Valley to the west. John Drew passed away shortly after the buildings construction. His wife remained in the two and one-half-story, rectangular, gable fronted house until it was sold to A.C. Whiting in 1888.1

This house features a two and one-half-story gable ell projects from the south wall and a rectangular brick chimney rises from the middle of the roof ridge. Four first story bay windows protrude from the plain common bond brick facades, two on each of the north and south walls. Further decorating of the brick structure is a deep wood cornice with straight eaves and fascia board entablature, heavy wooden gable screens with pendants, stone window sills and ornate lintels.2 The windows are 1/1 and have deep and ornate cast iron window heads are segmental shaped on the first floor and rounded on the second story.

The single story porch and deck extends two bays south and are three bays deep connecting with the south gable ell. Two rounded columns and two pilasters support the flat roofed entrance porch with its full entablature.

A.C. Whiting was the owner of a prosperous company that manufactured fibers for brushes. The Whiting family lived in this house until 1924, and then deeded the land to the University of Vermont, when it became of the home of then president Guy Bailey. In 1942, the house became a University of Vermont dormitory, and was named Elmwood Hall. Frederick Smith purchased the dormitory in 1957 and converted it back to a residence. Champlain College purchased the house in 1967, and reconverted it back to dorms. Then president Bader Brouilette decided to name it in honor of the family that had resided there for so many years. Today, the building is still owned by Champlain College and is used as a dormitory for International students as well as Student Health Services, which is located in the basement.3

1- Burlington City Tax Assessors Records
2- Burlington Historic Sites and Structures Survey
, Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, 1977.
3- Champlain College Web Site

Return to Main Page