Graduate Student Research
During the academic year, graduate students with the Rubenstein Ecosystem Laboratory conduct research in disciplines, ranging from invasive species to plankton migration, and in ecosystems, ranging from Lake Champlain to Yellowstone Park and beyond. They receive hands-on research experiences that challenge them to develop and test hypotheses and publish results in scientific journals.
Research Papers Published with Graduate Student Authors
* denotes graduate student
- Bowden, W.B., B.J. Peterson, L.A. Deegan, A.D. Huryn, J.P. Benstead, H.Golden*, M. Kendrick*, S.M. Parker*, E. Schuett, J. Valino, and J.E. Hobbie. 2014 Ecology of streams of the Toolik region. Chapter 7 in J.E. Hobbie and G. Kling, Alaska’s Changing Arctic. LTER Synthesis Book. Oxford University Press, New York. ( ISBN 978-0-19-986040-1)
- Chichakly*, K., W.B. Bowden, M. Eppstein. 2013. Minimization of cost, sediment load, and sensitivity to climate change in a watershed management application. Environmental Modeling and Software 50:158-168.
- Kanwar*, P., W.B. Bowden, and S.Greenhalgh. A regional ecological risk assessment of the Kaipara Harbour using a relative risk model. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment [On-line in pre publication version]
- O’Malley B.P.*, Maitland BM. In press. Observations on the freshwater zooplankton of Dominica, West Indies, including records from the former Matthieu landslide-dam Lake. Pan-American Journal of Aquatic Sciences.
- O’Malley, B.P.*, and D.B. Bunnell. 2014. Diet of Mysis diluviana reveals seasonal patterns of omnivory and consumption of invasive species in offshore Lake Michigan. Journal of Plankton Research, 38:989-1002.
- Sotola*, V. A., G. Maynard*, E. Hayes-Pontius*, T. Mihuc, M. Malchoff, and, J. E. Marsden. 2014. Precision and bias of opercles to estimate ages of largemouth (Micropterus salmoides) and smallmouth bass (M. dolomieu) as compared to whole otoliths, dorsal spines, and scales. Northeastern Naturalist.
- Snyder, L*. and W.B. Bowden. Nutrient dynamics in an oligotrophic arctic stream monitored in situ by wet chemistry methods. 2013. Water Resources Research 50: 2039–2049, DOI:10.1002/2013WR014317.
- Herbst*, S. J., J. E. Marsden, and B. J. Lantry. 2013. Lake whitefish diet, condition, and energy density in Lake Champlain and the lower four Great Lakes following dreissenid invasions. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 142:388-398.
- Howe*, E. A., A. Lochet, C. P. Hand*, J. E. Marsden, S. A. Ludsin, and B. J. Fryer. 2013. Tributary contributions to the parasitic and spawning adult population of sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus) in Lake Champlain using elemental signatures. J. Great Lakes Res. 39:239-246.
In Review or Revision
- Abbott*, B.W., J.B. Jones, E.A.G. Schuur, F.S. Chapin III, W.B. Bowden, M.S. Bret-Harte, H.E. Epstein, M.D. Flannigan, T.K. Harms, T.N. Hollingsworth, M. Mack, A.D. McGuire, S.M. Natali, A.V. Rocha, S.E. Tank, M.R. Turetsky, J.E. Vonk, K.P. Wickland, and the Permafrost Carbon Network. Can increased biomass offset carbon release from soils, streams, and wildfire across the permafrost region? An expert elicitation. Nature Geosciences. [In review]
- Abbott*, B.W., J.R. Larouche*, J.B. Jones, W.B. Bowden, and A.W. Balser. Elevated dissolved organic carbon biodegradability from collapsing permafrost. Journal of Geophysical Research. [In review]
- Kanwar*, P., K. Koliba, W.B. Bowden, and S. Greenhalgh. An institutional analysis of the Kaipara Harbour governance network in New Zealand. Environmental Management [In review]
- Pearce*, A.R., E.B. Rastetter, W.B. Bowden, M.C. Mack, Y. Jiang, and B.L. Kwiatkowski. Recovery of arctic tundra from thermal erosion disturbance is constrained by nutrient accumulation: a modeling analysis. Ecological Modelling [In review]
- Wlostowski*, AN, MN Gooseff, W Wollheim, W.B. Bowden (2014). Breakthrough curve decomposition: A conceptual framework for analyzing solute transport processes in rivers, independent of 1D numerical transport models. Water Resources Research [In review]
Last modified January 23 2015 01:43 PM