University of Vermont

College of
Education and Social Services

Secondary Education


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the significance of the name Licensure Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.)?

This program has two major objectives.  The first is to become qualified to obtain a Vermont teaching license in Secondary Education (grades 7-12).  The second is to obtain a Master of Arts in Teaching degree in Curriculum and Instruction. 

Are there any in-school experiences?

In-school experiences are an essential part of the program, and students must be able to arrange their schedules to accommodate these experiences.  In the fall semester, students spend 3 out of 5 full days per week (2 out of 5 days are involved in course work on campus) in the schools and candidates must complete a full semester of student teaching (5 full days per week) during the spring semester.

What contact do I have with other students in the program?

All students in the program meet at an orientation session in the summer and have contact throughout the year through courses offered on campus. In addition, students are assigned to a partnership school site and form a cohort at that site.  These cohorts provide an opportunity to develop professional, collegial relationships with other licensure students.

Can I begin the program at any time of the year?

Students admitted to the Licensure Program begin coursework during the summer session in mid-August. There may be prerequisites for courses that must be taken in a semester prior to beginning the actual program. There may be courses in a specific licensure area that are required and that are open to students who are not yet accepted into the program. Completion of these courses in no way guarantees acceptance into the program at a later date.

Is it possible to attend part-time or in the evening?

All students are strongly encouraged to enroll on a full-time basis (12-15 credit hours per semester). Part-time attendance is an option; however, all students must attend full-time during their final semester in order to complete their student teaching internship. Some required courses are usually offered in the late afternoon or evening, but it is not always possible to complete the program taking only evening courses. Part-time slots are limited and students must make a request to the program faculty for consideration.

Are there any minimum requirements to remain in the program?

Any student who earns a grade below a B during his or her enrollment in the program, or who does not maintain a GPA of 3.00, may be dismissed from the program (per Graduate College guidelines). Dismissal may be appealed to the College of Education and Social Services Studies Committee.

Can any requirements be waived based upon past courses and/or other experiences?

Comparable courses that have previously been taken at UVM, or other institutions, may be applied toward program requirements. Transfer of credits to the M.A.T. degree is limited to nine semester hours. Other documented experiences may be evaluated for substitution for program requirements (example: documentation of previous observation and participation in schools). Waivers and substitutions are considered on an individual basis, will require appropriate documentation such as syllabi and catalog course descriptions, and may not exceed the parameters as established at the program and Graduate College levels.

What constitutes successful completion of the licensure part of the program?

Determination of a student's successful completion of the program is based on assessment of each student's Licensure Portfolio, and a student's satisfactory completion of all required coursework. A Licensure Portfolio documents a prospective teacher's ability to meet the "A Vision for Teaching, Leading, and Learning: Core Teaching and Leadership Standards for Vermont Educators" (Vermont Agency of Education, 2013). In addition to completing a Licensure Portfolio, students must complete the professional education coursework for the specific licensure program, with a minimum grade point average of B (3.00). A minimum grade of B must be earned in the student teaching internship in order to be recommended for licensure. The coursework is designed to meet the professional education requirements for licensure. General liberal arts and major subject area requirements must also be completed prior to licensure. For most students, these will have been completed prior to admission to the program.

Am I guaranteed licensure if I successfully complete the licensure part of the program?

The Vermont Agency of Education requires all candidates for licensure to provide passing scores on the PRAXIS I and II. Since the Licensure Program has been approved by the Vermont Agency of Education, successful completion of the program results in a student being recommended by UVM to the Vermont Agency of Education for licensure in the specific program area. To obtain a teaching license, a student must submit an application for licensure directly to the Vermont Agency of Education after completing the program. The Agency of Education will not issue a license without UVM’s recommendation and passing scores on the PRAXIS I & II.

Last modified February 12 2014 07:55 AM