Are you interested in a profession that affords you opportunities to work with children and their families in birth through grade 3 contexts? Our Early Childhood PreK-3 Program provides the knowledge, experiences and licensure credentials that lead to a diverse range of teaching careers.
It’s an exciting time for the field of early childhood education. President Obama and Vermont’s Governor Shumlim continue to prioritize the needs and rights of our youngest citizens, and advocate for funding to support high quality care and education. That goal can be achieved in a multitude of educational and family settings, and there is a great need for qualified, licensed teachers. There are great teaching opportunities ahead!
The Early Childhood Program is designed to provide students with the perspectives, knowledge and skills necessary to work with children and families from birth though grade 3 in a variety of classroom and community-based settings. Our social-constructivist perspective of teaching and learning is embedded in our coursework and translates into our teaching practices with children. This model has been strongly influenced by our continuing interactions with the early childhood educators in Reggio Emilia, Italy. The Early Childhood PreK-3 Program was recognized in 2000 by the U.S. Department of Education as one of fourteen "exemplary" early childhood teacher education programs in the country.
Looking for our Undergraduate Program?
Hallmarks of Our Undergraduate Program:
- A small, dedicated faculty who offer continuous formal and informal advising
- Field placements beginning your freshman year at the Campus Children’s Lab School, community-based programs and local public schools
- Student teaching in birth – age 5 contexts AND area public school kindergarten – grade 3 classrooms
- Opportunities to study abroad and/or study the Reggio Emilia approach and its influences on our Program
- Exemplary job placement in a diverse range of early childhood contexts
- Dual licensure opportunity in Special Education (K-8)
- Experience and expertise in teaching EEL (English Language Learners)
Interested in Studying Abroad & Dual Endorsement Opportunities?
Combine your passion for teaching with an exciting full semester International Experience in Auckland, New Zealand
- Exciting orientation where students meet colleagues from around the world
- Auckland University of Technology (AUT) combines student centered, innovative pedagogy courses with a selection of electives that enable students to learn more about the indigenous Maori culture.
- Students are provided with a clinical field experience in a diverse elementary school attended by students from many cultures
- Opportunity to see the natural wonders in New Zealand
- Tuition, room and board provided utilizing tuition and financial aid
Earn 18 additional credits in special education through a special education minor
- Pursue coursework in Kindergarten through Grade 8 special education
- Become eligible to be licensed in special education grades K-8
Our Program is for you if you want to:
- Teach and learn at the Campus Children’s School – our on-site lab school with a ‘green’ commitment
- Teach in infant/toddler and pre-school programs, both public and private
- Teach in public or private school K-3 classrooms
- Work in community-based early childhood programs
- Teach abroad
- Learn how our Campus Children’s School and PreK-3 Program have been influenced by the schools of Reggio Emila, Italy
- Be an advocate & voice for young children and best practices – at local, state and national levels
Last modified February 13 2014 06:34 PM