University of Vermont

The Curriculum & Instruction Program


Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction?

The M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction is a 30-semester hour graduate degree program designed to advance the professional development aspirations of educators both from Vermont, around the country and the world. It is not an initial licensure program.

In addition, the C & I program offers two strands online:  Educational Technology and Library Media Science. 

I'm interested in obtaining a teaching licensure; am I in the right program?

No, we have two programs within the M.Ed. degree.  The MAT is our licensure program for those who have a Bachelor's degree already.  Please go to the MAT website for further information.

The M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction is for people in the education field who want to continue their education on effective teaching and learning practices.  You do not have to hold a teaching licensure in order to be accepted to the program.

How can I learn more about this program?

You should review the C&I website entirely and develop a personal plan of action.  Once you have identified your academic/career goals and have specific questions, you may contact C&I Program Support or phone 802-656-1410.  

Where can I find more information about the Graduate College?

Visit the Graduate College website.

What is the application process for this degree?

Applicants apply online at the Graduate College website.

Key components of the application are:

  • A record of all undergraduate work as identified on original transcripts.
  • Letters of reference from three (3) individuals in a position to evaluate your work in education.  Please make sure that the recommendations are complete one-page letters in addition to the online reference form.
  • A personal statement of purpose in which you indicate why the C&I M.Ed. is an appropriate program for your academic/career goals.
  • Appropriate Scores:  GRE General, Passing Vermont Praxis II or Equivalent Teacher Examination scores from another state (e.g. Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure, MTEL)
  • Complete applications are reviewed after the application deadline.

NOTE: You will want to have your application, letters of recommendation, and transcripts to the Graduate College at least two (2) weeks prior to the following deadlines.  This will ensure the Department of Education receives your complete application by the following deadlines:

Spring Applications due October 1 - Applications reviewed from October 1 through 15th
Summer Applications due February 1 - Applications reviewed from February 1 through 15th
Fall Applications due April 1 - Applications reviewed from April 1 through 15th

Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status within two weeks following the end of the review period.

What are the steps that lead to my acceptance to the program?

First you apply online at the Graduate College website.  After all of your application items have been submitted online, the C & I program receives your completed application.  Lastly, your completed application packet is submitted to the C & I faculty admission committee for a decision to accept or deny.

Why might my application for admission be denied?

A potential candidate must meet the following criteria to be accepted into the C&I M.Ed Program.

  • Undergraduate GPA greater than 3.0
  • Respectable GRE General, Passing Vermont Praxis II or Equivalent Teacher Examination scores from another state  (e.g. Massachusetts Tests for  Educator Licensure, MTEL)
  • Three full Letters of Recommendation must accompany the application along with the online reference forms.
  • Teaching Experience, i.e. (but not limited to) para-educator, substitute teacher, higher education instructor, preschool teacher, educational program directors, training specialists.
  • The candidate is able to articulate, in writing, their academic/career goals.
  • Strong desire to teach, educate and improve their instruction.      

Note:  Failure to meet these criteria will lead to a denied application.

How will I be notified of my acceptance into the program?

Once the C & I faculty admission committee determines that you are qualified for admission, the Graduate College Admissions Officer is notified. The Graduate Office will then send you a formal letter of acceptance. You must sign an "intent to accept admission" form sent by the Graduate College. Additionally, you will receive an official letter from the C & I ME.d. program containing important information about the program and the next steps for you to take.  You MUST then meet with Dr. Alan Tinkler, C&I Program Coordinator to discuss your area of concentration and at that time you will be assigned an advisor in your program area.

I am a Higher Education Collaborative (HEC) student in Early Childhood Education, how many of my classes will transfer?

Unfortunately, this is not an answer that HEC students want to hear.  As of Fall 2010, all HEC Early Childhood students accepted must go through a syllabus review with the C&I Program Coordinator.  We can no longer guarantee that courses will transfer on a course-to-course basis.  This is a result of the College of Education and Social Sciences accreditation process.  The Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) has required that the program confirm that all C&I classes meet graduate level requirements.  However, some courses may be combined to equal the equivalent of one graduate level course, but the transfer of courses can't be guaranteed.  Each student's transcript will be reviewed individually.

I already have graduate courses I would like to transfer into the program. That is okay, right?

You can transfer up to nine (9) credits of graduate level coursework.  Any Continuing Education courses that can be applied to the program must be approved by your advisor and transferred as early as possible.   Additionally, the Graduate College has a time limit to courses put forward for the degree from beginning to end of the program. That information can be found on the Graduate College website.

Is a M.Ed. Thesis required?

A Master's Thesis (6 credits) is not required but is an option for students who are interested in continuing to the doctoral level of study.

Contact Information:

C&I Program Support

Department of Education
University of Vermont
533 Waterman Building
Burlington, Vermont 05405


Last modified September 18 2015 11:15 AM

Contact UVM © 2016 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131