1. Neher, D.A., Nishanthan, T., Grabau, Z.J., and Chen, S.Y. 2019. Crop rotation and tillage affect nematode communities more than biocides in monoculture soybean. Applied Soil Ecology 140: 89-97. DOI 10.1016/j.apsoil.2019.03.016
2. Neher, D. A., Fang, L., and Weicht, T. R. 2017. Ecoenzymes as indicators of compost to suppress Rhizoctonia solani. Compost Science and Utilization 25(4): 251-261. DOI 10.1080/1065657X.2017.1300548.
3. Steel, H., Moens, T., Vandecasteele, B., Hendrickx, F., De Neve, S., Neher, D. A., and Bert, W. 2018. Factors influencing the nematode community during composting and nematode-based criteria for compost maturity. Ecological Indicators 85: 409-421. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolind.2017.10.039.
4. Zhang, P., Neher, D.A., Li, B., and Wu, J. 2017. The impacts of above- and belowground plant input on soil microbiota: invasive Spartina alterniflora vs. native Phragmites australis. Ecosystems 10.1007/s10021-017-0162-8.
5. Neher, D.A., Williams, K.M., and Lovell, S.T. 2017. Environmental indicators reflective of road design in a forested landscape. Ecosphere 8(3):e01734. 10.1002/ecs2.1734.
6. Bakelaar, J.E., Neher, D.A., and Gilker, R. 2016. Minimal soil impact by cold season pasture management in Vermont. Canadian Journal of Soil Science DOI 10.1139/CJSS-2014-0005.
7. Shao, Y., Wang, X., Zhao, J., Wu, J., Zhang, W., Neher, D. A., Li, Y., Lou, Y. and Fu, S. 2016. Subordinate plants sustain the complexity and stability of soil micro-food web in a subtropical natural forest ecosystem. Journal of Applied Ecology 53: 130-139.
8. Li, Y., Yang, G., Neher, D.A., Xu, C-Y., and Wu, J. 2015. Status of soil nematode communities during natural regeneration of a subtropical forest in southwestern China. Nematology 17: 79-90.
9. Zhao, J., and Neher, D.A. 2014. Soil energy pathways of different ecosystems using nematode trophic group analysis: a meta-analysis. Nematology 16: 379-385.
10. Wang, F., Li, J., Wang, X., Zhang, W., Zou, B., Neher, D.A., and Li, Z. 2014. Nitrogen and phosphorus addition impact soil N2O emission in a secondary tropical forest of South China. Scientific Reports DOI 10.1038/srep05615.
11. Zhao, J., and Neher, D.A. 2013. Soil nematode genera that predict specific types of disturbance. Applied Soil Ecology 64: 135-141.
12. Zhao, J., Neher, D.A., Fu, S., Li, Z., Wang, K. 2013. Non-target effects of herbicides on soil nematode assemblages. Pest Management Science 69: 679-684.
13. Zhao, J., Shao, Y., Wang, X., Neher, D.A., Xu, G., Li, Z., and Fu, S. 2013. Sentinel soil invertebrate taxa as bioindicators for forest management practices. Ecological Indicators 24: 236-239.
14. Neher, D.A., Asmussen, D., and Lovell, S.T. 2013. Roads in northern hardwood forests affect adjacent plant communities and soil chemistry in proportion to maintained roadside area. Science of the Total Environment. 449: 320-327.
15. Neher, D.A., Weicht, T.R., and Barbercheck, M.E. 2012. Linking invertebrate communities to decomposition rate and nitrogen availability in pine forest soils. Applied Soil Ecology 54:14-23.
16. Shao, Y., Zhang, W., Liu, Z., Sun, Y., Chen, D., Wu, J., Zhau, L., Xia, H., Neher, D.A., and Fu, S. 2012. Responses of soil microbial and nematode communities to aluminum toxicity in vegetated soil-shale-waste lands. Ecotoxicology 21: 2132-2142.
17. Neher, D.A. 2010. Ecology of plant and free-living nematodes in natural and agricultural soil. Annual Review of Phytopathology 48:371-394.
18. Powers, T.O., Neher, D.A., Mullin, P. Esquivel, A., Giblin-Davis, R.M., Kanzaki, N., Stock, S.P., Mora, M.M., and Uribe-Lorio, L. 2009. Tropical nematode diversity: Vertical stratification of nematode communities in a Costa Rican humid lowland tropical rainforest. Molecular Ecology 18: 985-996.
19. Barbercheck, M.E., Neher, D.A., Anas, O., El-Allaf, S.M., and Weicht, T.R. 2009. Response of soil fauna to disturbance across three resource regions in North Carolina. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 152: 283-298
20. Darby, B.J., Neher, D.A., and Belnap, J. 2007. Soil nematode communities are ecologically more mature beneath late- than early-successional stage biological soil crusts. Applied Soil Ecology 35: 203-212
21. Neher, D.A., and Stürzenbaum, S.R. 2006. Extra-long PCR, an identifier of DNA adducts in single nematodes (Caenorhabditis elegans). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part C 144:279-285.
22. Neher, D.A., Wu, J., Barbercheck, M.E., and Anas, O. 2005. Ecosystem type affects interpretation of soil nematode community measures. Applied Soil Ecology 30: 47-64.
23. Li, F., Neher, D.A., Darby, B.J., and Weicht, T.R. 2005. Observed differences in life history characteristics of nematodes Aphelenchus and Acrobeloides upon exposure to copper and benzo(a)pyrene. Ecotoxicology 14: 419-429.
24. Neher, D.A., Fiscus, D.A., and Li, F. 2004. Selection of sentinel taxa and biomarkers. Nematology Monographs and Perspectives 2: 511-514.
25. Neher, D.A., Barbercheck, M.E., El-Allaf, S.M., and Anas, O. 2003. Effects of disturbance and ecosystem on decomposition. Applied Soil Ecology 23:165-179.
26. Blakely, J.K., Neher, D.A., and Spongberg, A. L. 2002. Microinvertebrate and microbial communities, and decomposition as indicators of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon contamination. Applied Soil Ecology 21: 71-88.
27. Fiscus, D.A. and Neher, D.A. 2002. Distinguishing nematode genera based on relative sensitivity to physical and chemical disturbances. Ecological Applications 12:565-575.
28. Neher, D.A. 2001. Role of nematodes in soil health and their use as indicators. Journal of Nematology 33: 161-168.
29. Neher, D.A. and Olson, R.K. 1999. Nematode communities in soils of four farm cropping management systems. Pedobiologia 43:430-438.
30. Neher, D.A. 1999. Soil community composition and ecosystem processes: Comparing agricultural ecosystems with natural ecosystems. Agroforestry Systems 45:159-185.
31. Görres, J. H., Savin, M. Neher, D.A., Weicht, T. R., and Amador, J.A. 1999. Grazing in a porous environment 1. Interaction between grazing and soil structure on nutrient mineralization. Plant and Soil 212:75-83.
32. Neher, D.A., Weicht, T. R., Savin, M., Görres, J. H.and Amador, J. A. 1999. Grazing in a porous environment 2. Nematode community structure. Plant and Soil 212:85-99. Erratum: Table 2 should be replaced with this version.
33. Neher, D.A. 1999. Nematode communities in organically and conventionally managed agricultural soils. Journal of Nematology 31:142-154.
34. Neher, D.A., Easterling, K. N., Fiscus, D., and Campbell, C. L. 1998. Comparison of nematode communities in agricultural soils of North Carolina and Nebraska. Ecological Applications 8:213-223.
35. Neher, D.A., and Campbell, C. L. 1996. Sampling for regional monitoring of nematode communities in agricultural soils. Journal of Nematology 28:196-208.
36. Neher, D.A., Peck, S. L., Rawlings, J. O., and Campbell, C. L. 1995. Measures of nematode community structure and sources of variability among and within fields. Plant and Soil 170:167-181.
37. Neher, D.A., and Campbell, C. L. 1994. Nematode communities and microbial biomass in soils with annual and perennial crops. Applied Soil Ecology 1:17-28.
INVITED BOOK CHAPTERS
1. Neher, D.A. and Darby, B.J. 2009. General community indices that can be used for analysis of nematode assemblages in: Wilson, M., and Kakouli-Duarte, T. (editors) Nematodes as Environmental Bioindicators, pp. 107-123, CABI.
2. Neher, D.A. and Darby, B.J. 2006. Computation and application of nematode community indices: General guidelines. Pages 211-222 In: Abebe, E. (editor) Freshwater Nematodes: Ecology and Taxonomy, CABI, 752 pp.
3. Neher, D.A. and Powers, T.O. 2004. Nematodes. In: Hillel, D., Rosenzweig, C., Powlson, D., Scow, K., Singer, M. and Sparks, D. (editors) Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment, Vol. 3, pp. 1-5, Academic Press, New York.
4. Neher, D.A. 2001. Nematode communities as ecological indicators of agroecosystem health. Pages 105-120 in: Gliessman, S.R. (editor). Agroecosystem Sustainability: Developing Practical Strategies. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
5. Neher, D.A., Noffsinger, M., and Campbell, C. L. 1998. Nematode communities of North Carolina and Nebraska (USA). Pages 321-334 in: DeGoede, R., and Bongers, T. (editors). Nematode Communities of Northern Temperate Grassland Ecosystems. Diversity Effects in Grassland Ecosystems of Europe, Wageningen, Netherlands.
6. Neher, D.A., and Barbercheck, M. E. 1998. Diversity and role of soil mesofauna. Pages 27-47 in: Collins, W. and Qualset, C. O. (editors). Biodiversity in Agroecosystems. Lewis Publishers, Chelsea, Michigan.
Last updated 10/25/19
Biological Indicators of Soil Publications