|This 9" refracting telescope
was manufactured by Alvan Clark and Sons, Inc.,
of Cambridge, Mass. The objective is
an air spaced doublet. The approximate weight is 1100 pounds. The original
owner was Edward Curtis Smith of St. Albans, Vermont. Smith was the owner
of the Vermont Central Railroad, and Governor of Vermont from 1898
- 1900. The telescope was given to the University of Vermont in 1939 and
has never been used by the university. From 1974 - 1898 it was loaned to
the Vermont Astronomical Society, where it was used in two locations, one
in Underhill Vt. and the other in Williston, Vt.
The tube, which is 93 - 1/2" long and consists of 3 sections, is made of iron and the finder, focusing tube, and the name plate into which it is threaded are of brass. An electric "field illuminator" is mounted midway down the tube.
The pier stands 7' - 9" tall and houses the weight driven clock drive.
Also still with the telescope is the eyepiece box with an assortment of eyepieces and accessories.
Much of the history surrounding the telescope was gathered by Don Manley. The telescope is on display in the physics department.
|The brass tailpiece faceplate engraved with the company name, place of manufacture, and date.|
For more information on the history
of this telescope
Back to Topical Index Back to Maker Index Back to Device Index Back to Date Index