- Basic Video Techniques for Digital Scholarship
- Mixed Media Bootcamp
- Variety of Students? Variety of Teaching Strategies! Addressing the Variability of Learners Through UDL
- One-Day Intensive Training in Object-Based Learning at the Fleming Museum
View Events Calendar
Wimba Pronto Chat ToolWhat is Wimba Pronto?
Wimba Pronto (Pronto) is an instant message application for both individual and group sessions. One of the main differences between Pronto and other chat tools is that Pronto synchronizes with UVM's Blackboard course enrollments. This means that students and teachers are automatically connected with other Pronto users enrolled in the same courses.
The first time anyone uses Pronto, there are a few one-time-only steps for setting it up. Faculty and students have to:
- Set up an account with Wimba Pronto
- Download and install Wimba Pronto
To give students access to set up their accounts and download the software, you should add the Pronto tool to your Blackboard course menu. See the image on the right.
- click the "+" button on top of menu to add a link
- choose Tool Link
- choose Wimba Pronto
- type the name, such as "Pronto Chat," select "available to users" and "Submit"
When students click on the link, they will be directed to create an account and download Pronto. The account creation and download process is a one-time step for students.
After Pronto is downloaded and installed on students' computers, you do not need to keep the Pronto Chat tool on your menu. To begin chatting, users will need to open up the Pronto application.
For more information about how to use the interface, see the documentation provided by Wimba: download PDF
Note that UVM's Pronto license is text communication only, and does not include audio or video.