Adding Media to Blackboard
Note: Instructors and students wishing to record and/or insert videos they've created on YouTube can now do so using the Video Everywhere option in the Blackboard text editor. See also this PDF on getting started with video everywhere.
The process for adding media files to a Blackboard course—in this case meaning movies, screencasts, or audio recordings—is different than adding text-based content. It's a two-step process:
- upload the media file using the Media Manager tool.
- display (embed or link) media within a Blackboard course.
Why use the Media Manager?
Since media files are usually large, they should not be uploaded directly to a course; doing so can make your course backups less stable. Instead, they should be uploaded to your personal "Zoo account" space and linked from Blackboard. (What is a Zoo account?)
To address this problem, we've developed a tool called the "Media Manager." Instructions on using the Media Manager and for linking to your files in Blackboard are detailed below (or link to printable page):
1) Uploading files to the Media Manager
To upload files to the Media Manager:
- Preferably using the Firefox browser, go to this link
and log in with your UVM NetID.
- Click "Upload file to podcast folder"
- Click "Add Files" to browse to the file on your computer and click "open"
Maximum file size 1 GB
NOTE: acceptable file types are:
- .srt (for captions)
- .m4v - depending on the codec, read these instructions
- .mov - depending on the codec, read these instructions
- .avi: if you have an .avi file type, watch a video about converting it
- Once one or more files are in the queue, click "Start Upload"
- When the upload is complete (see 100% on the lower right status bar), you can close that pop-up window, and you should now see your media files listed. (you may need to refresh your browser page)
To manage files in Media Manager
- If needed, you can organize your media file into folders by clicking the "create new folder" button.
- Once files have been uploaded, they can be dragged into different folders
- File names and descriptions can be edited by clicking on the file name
- To delete files or folders, drag them to the trash can icon
2) Displaying media in a Blackboard course
Once the file is uploaded, the Media Manager provides the code to create a link to the file or to embed the file within a media player directly in your course.
To embed the media (so it can be viewed within the course page):
- In the Media Manager, click on the file name
- At the bottom of the pop up window, click "Show Embed Code"
- Copy the code that is provided
- Go to your Blackboard content area page (with Edit Mode "on")
- Click "Build Content," choose "Item," and fill in the title of the media, e.g. "Lecture 1"
- BEFORE you paste the "embed code" into the text area, you must "toggle to the HTML view" (See image below)
- Once you click on the toggle button, you may see a small amount of HTML code. You may delete it and paste the "embed code" you've copied into that window.
- Click "Submit"
NOTE: if you want to include more than one media file on the same Blackboard page, you must create a new item for each one.
To create a link to the media:
- In the Media Manager, click the file title. In the pop up window, you may want to now give your file a readable name and short description, because these fields will be displayed when your media is being played.
- Then click "show link" and copy the link provided
- In the Blackboard course, open a Content Area page and under "Build Content," choose URL.
- Give the link a name, e.g. "Lecture One", and below that, paste in the URL that you've just copied from the Media Manager site. Description of file is optional.
It is recommended that you select the option to "Open in New Window" and then click "Submit"
What is meant by "UVM Zoo account"?
Anyone with a UVM email account has access to a personal webspace on the UVM Zoo web servers. To read more about how to access and use your own web space, go to the UVM Web Publishing Guide: Check Your Zoo Account