Betty Rambur, Ph.D., R.N.
Professor of Health Policy and Nursing
Office: 201C Rowell
Phone: (802) 656-3401
Fellow, American Council on Education; Fellow, Academic Leaders Program, Committee on Institutional Cooperation, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007-08
Ph.D., Health Policy and Services, Nursing, Rush University, Chicago, IL., 1991
Dissertation support from National Institute of Health (NINR, 1990-1991)
M.S., Community Health/Nurse Practitioner, Rush University, Chicago, IL. 1988
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, Family Nurse Practitioner, University of North Dakota, College of Medicine, Department of Community Medicine, Grand Forks, ND, 1982
B.S., Nursing, University of Mary, Bismark, ND, 1978
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Founding Dean, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, 2002-2009
- Dean, School of Allied Health Sciences, 2000-2002
- Dean, School of Nursing, 2000-2002
- Professor, 2000-present
- Director, Holly and Robert Miller Caring for Nurses Initiative, 2010-present
University of Mary, Bismark, ND
- Chairperson, Division of Nursing, 1993-2000
- Associate Professor, 1997-2000
- Assistant Professor, 1992-1997
Academic Health Center Leadership
Board of Trustees, Fletcher Allen Health Care System
- Member, 2002-2007; 2008-2009
- Quality Committee, Chair, 2002-2007; Member, 2008-2009
- Finance Committee, Member, 2002-2007; 2008-2009
- Secretary and Member of the Executive Committee, 2003-2007
State of North Dakota
- Health Financing Reform Task Force, a Statewide Healthcare Financing Reform Initiative, funded $671,337 through Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, State Initiatives in Health Financing Reform program. Chairperson, 1991-1995; Member, 1990-1991
St. Mary of Nazareth Hospital Center, Chicago, IL
- Health Education Coordinator, 1986
Ear, Nose, and Throat Associates, Bismarck North Dakota
- Nurse Practitioner, 1982-1984
- Registered Nurse, 1978-1981
Palumbo, M., Marth, N., and Rambur, B. (2011). Advanced practice registered nurse supply and demand in a small state: Trends to inform policy. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice, 12(1), 27-35. (Abstract)
Palumbo, MV, McLaughlin, V., McIntosh, B., and Rambur, B. (2011). Practical nurses' health and safety in nursing homes. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration 34(3), 270-298.
Rambur, B., Palumbo, MV, McIntosh, B., Cohen, J., and Naud, S. (2011). Similarities and Differences in Young Adults' Perception of an Ideal Career and Perceptions of Nursing: Does Gender Matter? Nursing Management, 42(4), 19-24.
Rambur, B., Vallett, C., Cohen, J., and Tarule, J. (2010). The moral cascade: Distress, eustress, and the virtuous organization. Journal of Organizational Moral Behavior, 1(1), 41-54.
Palumbo MV., Wu, G., Shaner-McRae, H., Rambur, B., and McIntosh, B. (2010). Tai Chi for Older Nurses: A Workplace Wellness Pilot Study. Applied Nursing Research, 58(3), 95-102. (Abstract)
McIntosh, B., Rambur, B., and Palumbo, MV. (2010). Nursing workforce change necessitates change: Use the Older Worker Lure Scale to rate your organization's ability to attract and retain older nurses. American Journal of Nursing, 110 (12), 56-58.
Palumbo, MV., Rambur, B., McIntosh, B., and Naud, S. (2010). RN's perception of health and safety and intention to leave. American Association of Occupational Health Nursing Journal, 58(3), 95-103.
Palumbo, M, McIntosh, B, Rambur, B and Naud, S. (2009) Retaining an aging nurse workforce: Perceptions of human resource practices. Nursing Economics, 27, 221-227, 232. (Abstract)
Rambur, B., Palumbo, B., & McIntosh, B. & Thomas, C. (2008). A cross-disciplinary statewide healthcare workforce analysis. Journal of Allied Health, 37, 106-109. (Abstract)
Cohen, J., Laskowski, C., & Rambur, B. (2008). The experience of movement meditation. A dance of rhythmic paradox and time. International Journal of Human Caring, 12(3), 65-73.
- Cohen, J. Tarule, J., Vallett, C. & Rambur, B. (2011, in press). Stress and the workplace: Theories and models of organizational stress. Handbook of stress and coping. V.Rice (Ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishing (invited submission).
- Rambur, B. (2009). Creating collaboration: An exploration of multinational research partnerships. In Academic Research: Policies and Practices, Brew, A., and Lucas, L. (Eds).
- Berkshire, England: McGraw Hill, Society for Research into Higher Education and Open University Press, p 80-95 (invited submission).
Tarule, J., Cohen, JA., Rambur, B., & Vallett, C. (2011). The Moral Cascade: Leader's Moral Decisions Shape and are Shaped by Organizational Virtuousness. 16th Values and Leadership Conference. Victoria, British Columbia, CA. September 25-27
Rambur, B. (2011). Discovery-Oriented Learning. Vermont State Nurses Association District 1 Annual Meeting, Burlington, VT. April 14.
Rambur, B. (2011). Writing for Publication. Vermont Organization of Nurse Leaders. Nurse Leadership Summit 2011. Colchester, VT. April 8.
Rambur, B., Cohen, J., Tarule, J., and Vallett, C. (2011, March 24). Moral decision-making in nursing: A theoretical model to guide research and Practice. Eastern Nursing Research Society Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
Palumbo, MV., Rambur, B., McIntosh, B. and McLaughin, V. LPN, RN, and APRN Self-Reported Perceptions of Health. 2nd Annual Nursing Research & Evidence-Based Practice Symposium. Burlington, VT. November 5 and 6, 2010.
Selected Research and Grants
2010-2011. Cohen, J. (PI), Rambur, B., Tarule, J., & Vallett, C. The Moral Cascade: An examination of how individual moral decision making is experienced in non-profit, health, and service providing institutions and how the institutions' virtuousness interacts with those decision. College of Nursing and Health Sciences Incentive Grant Program ($12,640).
2001-2007. Rambur, B.(PI), Palumbo, M. "Center for Nursing." Vermont State Department of Health. Funding for initial start up costs for the Center and ongoing workforce and health services research ($475,000).
2004-2005. Palumbo, MV, Wilcke, B., McIntosh, B. Rambur, B. Vermont Health Workforce Supply/Demand Monitoring Systems. HRSA Research Focused Initiative, Expansion of workforce research to include the allied health professions ($393,637).
Jan 1-June 30, 2004. Palumbo, MV, Rambur, B. Next Steps in Expanding Educational Capacity for Vermont Nursing Schools. Office of Rural Health, Vermont Department of Health. Survey design research to identify barriers to expansion of educational capacity ($32,122).
Jan 1-June 30, 2004. Palumbo, MV, Reinier, K., Rambur, B. Nursing Workforce Emergency Preparedness Project: Survey and Training of Inactive Nurses. Office of Rural Health and Bioterrorism Preparedness. Vermont Department of Health. Survey design research and implementation project to identify inactive nurses and train for surge capacity ($62,100).
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2007 Award for International Nursing Excellence, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, Best of Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Profession and Society category for: Rambur, B., McIntosh, Palumbo, B. & Reinier, K. (2005). Educational preparation and determinants of career retention and job satisfaction among American registered nurses, Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37(2), 185-192.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Government Affairs "Grassroots Star" (2001)
- American Nurses Association Leadership Circle (1999-2000)
- University of Mary, Outstanding Alumni Award (1995)
- North Dakota Nurses Association Honorary Recognition Award (1995)
- Invited Participant, Health Policy White House meeting with President Bill Clinton, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders and policy advisors (1994)
Vermont Health Foundation, Member, Board of Directors, 2009-present; Finance Committee, 2010-present
End-of-Life Advisory Board, Visiting Nurse Association, 2006-2007; 2008-present
Governor's Blueprint on Chronic Disease, Steering Committee, 2004-2006
Health Resources Allocation Plan Advisory Board , advisory to State Banking, Insurance, Securities, and Health Care Administration Commissioner John Crowley on the implementation of ACT 53, Certificate of Need reform, 2004-2005
Freeman Nurse Scholars, Chairperson, Board of Directors, 2001-2007
Vermont Ethics Network, Board of Directors, 2000-2005
Last modified April 26 2012 02:00 PM