South Hero, Vermont
Landon Family History
Thaddeus Landon (1766-1846)
Thaddeus Landon arrived from Litchfield, Connecticut, by way of Cornwall, Vermont, settling in South Hero c.1795. He lived in the Southeast part of town and was a large and prosperous landowner and farmer. He was very active in town affairs and offices, including Selectman (1817-19), overseer of the poor (1821), and Superintendent of building a bridge over the creek. He had a large family and numerous prominent descendents, many of which remained residents of South Hero.
Benjamin Landon (1744-1817)
Benjamin Landon was born in Litchfield, Connecticut. He was first married to Abigail Dickinson, until her death in 1765, and he then married Jerusha Woodruff (1745-1803). In a deed dated November 17, 1787, Benjamin purchased a tract of land totaling 190 acres in South Hero. He settled on lot number 33, originally owned by Joshua Tucker. According to tradition, he built the first frame house in South Hero, located just west of Featherbed Lane, near the Sand-Bar, on a knoll on the north side of U.S. #2. Benjamin died June 20 1817, in South Hero, possessing a considerable estate, which was divided among his heirs.
Jesse Landon (1796-1889)
Jess Landon, son of Thaddeus Landon, was the first child bearing the Landon name born in South Hero, Vermont. He was a successful farmer and lived on present day Landon road. He was active in the affairs of the South Hero Congregational Church, serving as Deacon for 55 years. He was on the committee of three that approved the selection, in 1840, of Pastor O.G. Wheeler, who was to serve the Congregational Churches of South Hero and Grand Isle for 46 years. Jesse Landon lived the 93 years of his life in South Hero as a much respected and revered man.
Abner B. Landon (1802-1861)
Abner B. Landon was born in South Hero, Vermont, son of Thaddeus Landon, and was successful farmer and life long resident of South Hero. He served the town for several years and held many offices, including Selectman, Trustee of public money, and Representative to the Vermont Legislature, in1845. He had a large family and many descendents.
John S. Landon (1813-1907)
John S. Landon was born in South Hero, Vermont, son of Thaddeus and Anne (Marsh) Landon. He settled on his father's 300 acre farm, one of the largest in town. He was very active in town affairs and held many town offices, including Representative in the Vermont legislature (1854-1856). For a considerable number of years he served as First Director of "The Sand-Bar Bridge Company." His double team did most of the work, with no machinery of any kind. Not one man in South Hero devoted more time, interest and effort, with very little compensation, to the arduous challenge of maintaining the fragile Sand-Bar crossing.
George Landon (1817-1899)
George Landon was born in South Hero, Vermont, son of Bird (Birdsey) Landon. Around 1850, he caught the "Gold Fever" and made the dangerous trip overland to California. After a few years he returned to South Hero, married Mary Sanford, in 1857, and moved to Williston, Vermont. After 1875, his wife having died, George Landon moved to Washington, Kansas, where he died and is buried.
Buel Landon (1821-1882)
Buel Landon was born in South Hero, Vermont, son of Bird (Birdsey) Landon. He was a successful farmer, with 180 acres, and fruit grower.Ý He was also very active in town affairs and town offices. He was an Assistant judge for Grand Isle County Court (1851-1861), Senator, and Representative in the Vermont Legislature (1876-1877). He also served an unusually long term of service as South Hero Town Clerk, from 1852 until his death in1882. His widow, Miriam (Phelps) Landon, was elected to succeed him and served until 1918, a total of 65 years. Buel was also a director of "The Sand-Bar Bridge Company" and contributed much time and thought to the maintenance of the Sand-Bar crossing. His son, Thomas B. Landon (1862-1934), became particularly versed in all the legal aspects of "The Sand-Bar Company."
Fred Landon (1834-?)
Fred Landon was born in South Hero,Vermont, son of Abner B. and Minerva Landon and grandson of Thaddeus Landon. His childhood was spent attending the local district schools of South Hero and working with his father in the management of the farm. He continued working the farm, after his father's death, until 1866. He then moved to Clarksville, Virginia, where he worked for three years in the buying and selling of real estate. He eventually relocated to Bristol (Addison County) Vermont, working as a photographer. He was then appointed Postmaster for nine years and eventually became a dealer of horses, carriages, sleighs, and harnesses. In addition, he also dealt in the sale of lumber, bricks and slate. He married Melissa Gardiner, with whom he had five children, and remained in Bristol.
Franklin Robinson (1791-1885)
Franklin Robinson was the son of Beulah Billings and was a descendent of the prominent Robison Family of Bennington, Vermont. He came to South Hero with his mother, who married Abijah H. Hall. Franklin Robinson learned the Saddler-Harness trade. In 1817, he married Susan Landon, daughter of Thaddeus Landon. He gradually acquired considerable property on South Hero and was a quite successful farmer. He was appointed Postmaster on April 13, 1818, and he was elected to the highest offices in South Hero, including Sheriff of Grand Isle (1830-1834). He was an extremely capable man and the father of a large and much respected family.
F. Robinson (1822-1905)
Calvin F. Robinson was born in South Hero, Vermont, son of Franklin and Susan (Landon) Robinson. In company with Homer Boardman, he kept a country store for a few years in the Keeler's Bay region; the store eventually burned in a fire. He eventually settled on a farm of 200 acres, located in the Southeast part of town. He was extremely active in Town affairs, including Selectman, Town Treasurer, Trustee of public money, Representative to the Vermont Legislature (1855), and Assistant judge for Grand Isle County (1859-1860).Ý In 1845, he married Lydia M. Fletcher, and they had 9 children, with numerous descendents.
Henry Buel Robinson (1820-1885)
Henry Buel Robinson was born in South Hero, Vermont, son of Franklin and Susan (Landon) Robinson. He settled in South Hero, roughly æ mile west of the "corners" on the main road. He was a successful farmer, having 280 acres in 1882. He served in numerous town offices, including Selectman and Auditor, and in1846, he was elected Representative to the State Legislature. In 1898, his son Wallace Robinson (1864-1951) erected a warehouse, east of the homestead, and began "Robinson Hardware Inc." In 1855, Henry married Sarah Abigail Wright and raised 6 children.
Samuel Boardman (1803-1853)
Samuel Boardman was born in Griswold, Connecticut (town of Preston), son of Hezekiah and Hannah (Cook) Boardman. He moved to South Hero in 1827 and married Julia Landon. He was a merchant and contractor. Between 1836 and 1839, he and his family moved to West Milton, Vermont, where they resided in a large, brick house located below the Lower Falls. Samuel Boardman was the prime contractor and builder of the Sand-bar Bridge (1849-1859), the portion from the South Hero end to the present Sand-Bar State Park. Family lore speaks of the fearful rigor of working through the winter of 1849-1850 on the Sand-Bar Bridge.
 From: Allen L. Stratton, History of the South Hero Island being the Towns of South Hero and Grand Isle Vermont. Volume I, (Burlington: Queen City Printers, 1980).
Last modified June 06 2005 05:00 PM