Art Lecture I: Cosmogony and Succession of Divine Rulers
- Female figure seated on leopard throne; Anatolia, c. 6000 B.C.E.
- Terra-cotta figure; mother and child, middle to end 5th millennium B.C.E. (Iraq)
- Nut, goddess of the sky, papyrus, Egypt, New Kingdom
- Slate triad: symbol of province; Hathor; Pharaoh Mycerinus, Egypt: Dynasty IV (Old Kingdom)
- Ivory snake goddess, Knossos (Crete) c. 1600 B.C.E. (Boston Museum of Fine Arts)
- Shore where Aphrodite was born; Paphos (Cyprus)
- Painting of Venus on seashell, Pompeii first century C.E.
- Attic red-figure vase (pelike): Birth of Aphrodite, 460 B.C.E.
- Artemis, Ephesus, first century C.E. (= modern interpretation of old Anatolian 'mother-goddess'; cf. slide #1)
- Artemis, detail of skirt: symbols of power (lion, bull, etc.) and fertility (bee and breasts/eggs in full view)
- Botticelli, Birth of Venus; Florence: Uffizi c. 1485
- Cliff relief, Yazilikaya (Anatolia): weather-god of heaven (Teshub); sun goddess of Arinna (Hepat); son Sharruma; 2 unidentified goddesses, Hittite, 1275-50 B.C.E.
- Hagia Triada sarcophagus, Crete, c. 1400: worshipers, double-axe standards (Herakleion Museum)
- Gold ring from grave; Mycenae, 15th century B.C.E.; double axe, worshipers
- Zeus krater, Enkomi (Cyprus), Mycenaean style, 14th century B.C.E.
- Zeus krater, detail: Zeus with scales of destiny
- Zeus? of Artemisium, c. 470 B.C.E. (Athens: National Museum)
- Weather-god (Teshub), Neo-Hittite, ninth century B.C.E. (Istanbul)
- Weather-god (Teshub), Neo-Hittite, killing dragon Illuyanka, 1050-850 B.C.E. (Ankara Museum)
- Gigantomachy, Athens, c. 520 B.C.E.: Athena and the giant, Enceladus (Athens: Acropolis Museum)
- Hecatompedon pediment, Athens, c. 570-550 B.C.E.; Herakles vs. Triton; Typhon (Athens: Acropolis Museum)
- "Blue-beard" (= Typhon), Athens, 570-550 B.C.E.
- Siphnian Frieze: Dionysus and Cybele
- Siphnian Frieze, Delphi, pre-525 B.C.E.: Apollo and Artemis
- Altar of Zeus, Pergamum 180-159 B.C.E.: east frieze: Hekate and Artemis vs. snake-bodied giants (East Berlin: Pergamum Museum)
- Last Judgment, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel, 1539-1541
Classics 42: Mythology Slide Lectures
- Slides Lecture 1: Cosmogony and Succession of Divine Rulers
- Slides Lecture II: The Tantalids in Archaeology and Art
- Slides Lecture III: Athens and the Family of Aegeus
- Slides Lecture IV: Perseus in Art
- Slides Lecture V: Woodcuts and Engravings of Ovid's Metamorphoses (from UVM Rare Book Collection, continued in Art Lecture VII)
- Slides Lecture VI: Dionysus, Heroes, Chthonians & Satyrs in Art
- Slides Lecture VII: Woodcuts and Engravings of Ovid's Metamorphoses (from UVM Rare Book Collection, continued in Art Lecture V)
- Supplementary Slides
Last modified February 05 2010 04:51 PM