University of Vermont


Spouse/Dependent Information & Application

Students who are enrolled in the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan can enroll their spouse/civil union/domestic partner or minor dependent by contacting University Health Plans, Inc. directly.

The deadline for this enrollment is September 15th for Fall semester and February 15th for Spring semester.

Eligible dependents include:

  • A legal spouse
  • A civil union partner
  • A domestic partner
  • Unmarried children who are EITHER:
    • Under the age of 19
    • A full-time student up to the age of 26
    • A newborn infant born while the student-parent is covered by UVM SHIP

A spouse or same-sex partner is generally expected to be living with the covered student in order to be eligible for coverage.

Important Notes:

CHWB ONLY provides care to UVM students who have paid the Health Fee. CHWB services, including routine/preventative care and counseling, are not available to spouses/dependents, even if they enroll in UVM SHIP. Spouses and dependants must seek care elsewhere.

In addition, spouses/dependents enrolled in UVM SHIP are required to obtain a referral for health services outside of CHWB in order to ensure preferred rates of coverage. Contact the UVM Student Health Insurance Office for any referrals: (802) 656-0602 or

Last modified April 03 2014 05:52 PM